Such a Wick?

OK I have tested so many wicks and I am so frustrated. At the current moment I am testing LX14, LX18, 51Z, 44-32-18Z, and RRD34. I use 8oz JJ and either J50 or J223.

I can't find a wick that does that doesn't mushroom:angry2: I was wondering if there is such a thing. When I buy candles at the store they rarely mushroom.

Can someone let me in on the secret?

I've alwys found htp 83 to work best. However, it also depends on how much dye you put in. I always use 1.5 FO and I found that I have frustrations with wicks when I put a heaver dye load. Then I break out the CD 8 or 10 and it usually works.

Someone please help. I really need to no any more experience about mushrooming. I want to start selling, but I can't until I'm satisfied. To me mushrooming and black soot are unacceptable.

Thanks bugsb1 for your input. How do you like the wicks I sent you?

Trisha, I've used LX-14 in jelly jars with great success. They will mushroom after several hours but not nearly as badly as zincs. Mushrooms are from carbon build-up and a sign that it's time to give that baby a rest.

In four years of chandling, I've yet to see a wick that does not mushroom to some degree after extensive burning.

e