Preservatives in B&B

cmspath

I am wondering what are good preservatives to use in products like whipped shea butter etc.. Is vit. E good enough - or are there other types to use, I dont know that much about them - but knowing me - I probably have them.. :rolleyes:

Okay...I'm not an expert and haven't dealt with preservatives since I made lotion a few year back but...I've heard that LiquaPar and Optiphen (sp?) are good for helping to preserve body butters...at least the butters that don't require water. And it's my understanding that although Vit. E will help prolong shelf life, it should not be thought of as a preservative.

Right now, I don't add any preservatives to my body butters but am thinking about it...for fear of somebody putting wet fingers into the jar and thus contaminating the butter.

Not sure if that helps and I'm sure somebody else can answer the Q better. :)

Liquid Polymer isn't a preservative.

Many different preservatives will work in anhydrous formulas, you just have to test to see which one works with what you are doing. Here's ISPs guidelines for the preservatives they sell. http://ispcorp.com/products/preservatives/content/selguide/anhyd.html

They recommend the Liquipars. Phenonip is mfg'd by another company and works well also.

• 7 months later...

Has anyone ever used or know of a preservative without parabens in it?

Both the LiquiPar and Phenonip have parabens and I was chewed out by a lady at a show for listing this item in my ingredients. She said that parabens have been linked to possible causes of cancer (another sky is falling?).

There are paraben free preservatives. For example, the Germalls are

Liquid Germal + INCI: Propylene Glycol (and) Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate

It's a common concern from customers. Most of them don't really know why, it's just something they've heard or read so it's true. So it's always nice to try to keep away from any kind of perception like that - if you can find paraben free, it makes your life easier :)

Both the LiquiPar and Phenonip have parabens and I was chewed out by a lady at a show for listing this item in my ingredients. She said that parabens have been linked to possible causes of cancer (another sky is falling?).

This really gets me when people point out the preservative & carcinogin connected. Some of those same people will use shampoos, conditioners, hair sprays, hair coloring, makeup, and the list could go on and on and on that also contain carcinogins and they think nothing of those, simply because they do not know.

What's more dangerous, a product, for example like Miracle II, that does not disclose all of it's ingredients and claims it does not use a "cancer-causing" preservative (yet has been found to contain bacterial growth in the product) or a properly preserved product? I'll take my chances on the properly preserved product, thank you.

Smile pretty at them and tell them you are aware of those studies and even more, then direct them to the preservative free body butter at $15 per 2 ounces, they will be thrilled with it.

I was already wanting to create my own lotion instead of using a base, which is what I was doing. What's bad is not only did she catch me off guard with the info, but when she confronted me with 'why does your product have parabens in it?' all I could think was 'didn't know it did.'

Oh well, you know how these Iowans are - they can get something like that in their teeth and the play with it until the mole-hill becomes a mountain.

THEN I made my 1st and 2nd batches of lotion (which I was pretty pleased with BTW), and I realized this morning that the preservative I have also has parabens in it. grr.