vanilla stabilizer questions

rctfavr3

I use the one from NG also. I don't think it smells bad. They say their formula is not the same as what other places use. I haven't really noticed it separating but don't know that I would have seen it as a problem. lol. The one from NG works really well.

VS smells awful to say the least! Smells like ammonia to me

Yes, it does smell awful and I think it is far stronger than ammonia. It really should have a warning label on it because the smell is painfully strong. I replace the caps with red caps on the bottles to remind me not to sniff it- thinking it is an FO or something. I did this once a couple of years ago, and I swear that I thought I lost my sense of smell for good. It was a frightening experience to say the least and I have never forgotten it...

On another note, I have never had VS horrible smell interfere with the finished product's scent. It is only OOB that VS smells strong and terrible. I have also never had it separate.

Edited by Noodle

I'd used it with some Toasted Marshmallow from RE a while back, (the stabilizer was from WSP - may have been reformulated by now - not sure). The ammonia type scent never went away - even though it lessened. A few weeks later I ended up throwing out the batch. Was too bad, since I'd specifically purchased the stabilizer for use on that scent. I never pursued it any further. I just make much smaller batches that I use up very quickly - before they turn brown:undecided. If I try another VS - I think I'll give NG a try as well.

If I try another VS - I think I'll give NG a try as well.

I use the one from NG and I like it a lot. BCN VS almost blew off my nose a couple of years ago from its painfully strong smell. I think that it is stronger smelling than the one from NG.

I"m totally new to using vanilla stabilizer of any kind from any supplier, so I can't compare, but I just wanted to mention that I recently bought the one from BCN and used it with a favorite scent of mine that normally goes brown in my soap, and so far, so good. My soap that I used it in is a little over 2 months old now and there's not a brown spec in sight. Like Noodle, I made the mistake of taking a sniff of it right out of the bottle, and let's just say it was an experience I'll never forget and never want to repeat! The smell was like ammonia on a mega-dose of steroids and I was afraid that it would completely ruin the scent of my soap, but happily that was not the case. It cured out just fine and all is well. Whew! lol

I made the mistake of taking a sniff of it right out of the bottle, and let's

just say it was an experience I'll never forget and never want to repeat!

I so relate and completely sympathize... I hope this thread enlightens people to use VS with caution. Do not sniff it! It is a great product, but seriously needs warning labels on the bottle.