problem with igi 4627

I just started candle making about 2 months ago. I bought the IGI 4627 and really like the cold and hot throw. but every time I burn my test candles the wax melt pool turns an ugly brown color. I use eco wicks,one dye chip and 10%-12% fragrance oil per pound. Am I doing something wrong? or is there a way to reduce or eliminate this problem. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I just started candle making about 2 months ago. I bought the IGI 4627 and really like the cold and hot throw. but every time I burn my test candles the wax melt pool turns an ugly brown color. I use eco wicks,one dye chip and 10%-12% fragrance oil per pound. Am I doing something wrong? or is there a way to reduce or eliminate this problem. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I am not expert but in my testing the wick is too hot burning and the wax turns colors.I am sure some one with more knowledge will answer.I do use 4627 and find zink 51 works great and I like rrd wicks.But again testing is the only way,try and wick down and test.

I actually do have a problem with soot. I was going to lower FO to 8% pp with the new zinc wicks I just ordered. Does anybody have a suggestion what wick size to start with for a 12 oz status jar and the 4 and 8 oz jelly jars? and what about vybar is there really any benefit to using it?

What size ECO wick did you use in each jar? I am nearly positive that a. the wick is too large if you are experiencing this and b. that you are using far too much scent. I don't find that with most scents I ever have to use more than 6%. I'd honestly lower the scent to an oz per lb right off the top. You are going to find that as long as you are realistic in your expectations as to what size area your candles will throw (a 2.5" jar should throw well in an enclosed are of 10 to 12 feet square with normal ceiling heights) that you are just throwing money out the door.