Wick Suggestions please...

I'm new to candle making and I'm in the wick testing phase, I'm using IGI 4627 in a short little jelly jar with a 2.5 diameter. I've tried HTP 83 (didn't work) and have now moved on to ECO. I've used 10, (obviously too big) 8 (too Big) 6 (better but flame still too high I think) settled on a 4 but it keeps bending at the tip so I only get half of a melt pool. In every other aspect it's good. Does that mean it's a bit small? Can anyone suggest a wick that won't bend? The HTP did the same thing. I liked the ECO 6 and it did well but I thought the flame was a bit too high after a 4 hour test. Help please.

Thanks in advance

I've tried almost every type of wick and still keep coming back to the zincs. I would try a 44-32-18 or a 44-28-18 for that diameter. At least with the zincs they don't curl, and they give a great hot throw. Mushrooms are the only real problem I deal with.....HTH!

We've pondered the possible health impact of burning metal vaporized into the household environment, and after discussion, we've decided to not use zinc core. There's been an effective ban on lead-core for many years, after extensive analysis of its dangers. However, while zinc is nowhere near as toxic as lead, does zinc-core wick present any impact to those inhaling its fumes, especially those with respiratory ailments? I'm aware of "Metal Fume Fever," which is caused by, among other things, extensive exposure to Zinc Oxide fumes. An older name for those working extensively with zinc casting, welding or galvanizing is "Zinc Shakes."

Hence, we're focusing on all-cotton, cotton-hemp, and cotton-paper, in accordance with the Precautionary Principle. Good results have come for us with the ECO, CSN, & CDN series, and square braid & hemp-core.

Edited by beaconterraone

I've been making candles for about 15 years now, and I understand everyone has their own opinion/viewpoint. I'm glad you're happy with your decision to use cotton wicks; myself, on the other hand, am completely happy with my wicks and proprietary wax formula (and so are my customers). To each his own, right?:)