This customer....aaaarrrgggghhhhh!

ubure

Hi there,

I hate this customer! She ordered stuff from me and paid via Paypal. I sent her the parcel but it was returned by our postal service due to problems with the barcodes. I apologized for the delay and announced a new shipment. In addition to this I offered her 2 clamshells of her choice which she accepted plus I put in another free clamshell. I re-sent the parcel last monday. Yesterday she opened a conflict on payPal saying she hadn't received her parcel even though I claimed I had sent it....PayPal of course retains the money now. I checked the tracking number and it says that the parcel was misdirected and would be delivered today which was the case. She got her parcel at about 12 o'clock. But she didn't do anything about the Paypal-Konflikt. Now she has written me an email saying that the parcel has arrived but that 2 clams were missing (which is true, I have misread the order). Two clams, that is € 8,- versus the € 50,- in candles/nuggets she has received today. She didn't solve the conflict but just wrote a comment that there are those two clamshells missing. I wrote her and apologized for the mistake and that of course I would send her the two items immediately but that I didn't think it was correct to maintain the conflict because of the two items. No answer so far. She knows that I cannot do anything. Or can I? Do you have any ideas?

That#s the sh...t with PayPal - any customer can put up a conflict without Paypal asking you what happened...they just retain the money. The customer doesN#t have to prove anything. I won't offer this as a payment anymore, I'm fed up (and I remember now why I started hating doing business so much...it is so many customers who are complete idiots.)

Am I wrong? is she right? I'm so pissed...

Well it sounds like she didn't get all her product she ordered, correct? If so then it's actually smart to keep it open until she does. If she closes it and say doesn't get those products then it wasn't resolved. I just had an issue like this ordered melters, a week later they never shipped them and when they got the notice they finally shipped them that day. I kept my paypal dispute open until I received the items even after the provided me with tracking information.

But I even offered to refund the money for the missing items and that she could pay for them when she received them. I don't think it fair to retain € 58,- when there are only € 8,- worth in candles missing....

She got her parcel, I sent it on the day I promised and only because our postal office made a mistake I have no money at all even if she has the major part of her order? That#s NOT okay. I understand your case, they obviously hadn#t shipped until your opened the conflict, but I have shipped it.

Edited by ubure

My initial thought is that it is OK to leave the conflict open until the customer has all of the purchased product delivered. I see your point that there are really 2 separate issues to resolve. From the customers point of view it is easier for her to try to get everything straight under the one complaint. Is it the right way to handle it? Well, that's debatable I suppose.

Within PayPal, document everything you have done that is relative to the order and delivery. The extra freebies and goodwill matter not to the conflict on paper. Document the process from your side in the PayPal dispute:

order > shipped > shipping barcodes problem > returned > re-shipped > delay > delivery > product shortage > shipped missing product > final delivery > transaction complete

Provide tracking information, if possible, so the PayPal investigator can see the final product delivered. Case closed. Customer gets all the product, you get all the payment. Unfortunately your payment was delayed for a few days during resolution but so were her products. In the end both parties are made whole.

On a side note, I find it much easier to resolve PayPal disputes than credit card chargebacks. Much less red tape. It is my feeling that PayPal provides more protection for the seller than the big CC companies like Visa, Mastercard, AMEX etc.

Best wishes, ubure. I hope you can resolve the issue quickly and amicably.

Edited by Node11
punctuation :)

I can see all of that but no matter what I think it not entirely fair. She has closed the conflict now but my money still isn't on my PayPal account. Does this take some time to happen? Why? They keep the money even if there is no problem anymore. But then all the banks work likewise - they work with your money inbetween entry and credit. Somebody does a bankwire to your account and you recieve it several days later even if the money has already arrived . That is not legal as well but they all do it. Hate all this money stuff...