How hot is too hot for a jar?

I am using 464 wax with 6% FO pp in an 8 oz jelly jar.

I tested with an eco 8 and a cd 10. It took two burns at 3 hours for a full melt pool with the cd 10. About 2.5 hours for full melt pool second burn for the eco. My jars are pretty hot though, especially now that the one is almost to the bottom (eco wick)

I can pick and move up if had to, but its HOT.

So how do you gauge if its too hot?

Also, I am pretty annoyed lol. I am just doing this as a hobby, but my melts and candles, while fun to make, the hot throw sucks! Ive tried several different candlescience FO, poured at 185 (the oil) stired until 135 and poured. Left to cure at least a week. Ive tested with and without candlescience chip dye.

Any suggestions? :( Ive tried 464 wax, and milliard 324

For my melts I use pillar blend.

Thanks!

Guest OldGlory

I use 464 with an FO load of 6% and it doesn't matter what size the jar is, I get awesome HT in most of the FOs I buy from Aztec, BCN, BCS, Candle Science, RusticEscentuals, etc. I don't buy it again unless it works in my wax with my wicks. I use Premier wicks from Aztec and I heat to 180, pour pretty cool. A few FOs are light, but then some FOs are simply light. When I pick up the candles I am testing after burning for a few hours, the jars or tins are hot, but I can move them if I want/need to. I don't know what 'too hot' would be.

I tend to overwick a bit - not a lot, (no torches) but if there's hangup on the second burn I wick up.

My wholesale clients are very happy with my candles and their customers often comment on how they love the way they burn, the fragrance they provide, and best of all they get plenty of return customers for the candles. How the candle burns and how good they smell is critical to success, so test, test, test until you get there! Don't settle!

Guest OldGlory

Is it the square jar or just a plain jelly jar? I have used the square mason jars and the 8 oz tin. In those I mostly use a 767 or a 790 for stubborn FOs. HTH!

I had this same question Lubella. Anyone know of a way to measure the exact temperature? And how hot is too hot? I have sensitive fingers I guess, as they all feel too hot, but my brother who helps me make and test candles says it really doesn't feel that hot to him. How to really know?