Again: basic Q for dip'n'carve

I'm living in a country where number of craft shops is close to none, and few that we have are more of school project format - asking me for a 6point star small mold 50$, a pound of paraffin wax is 25$!!!! Also i can't order blend that you use in Cut'n'curve from USA because of too big expenses. Thus, I'm forced to order a ton of wax as a min order (and still i don't know what i'll do with that amount :sad2: )

So guys, i need to help not to order wrong wax in this big amount.

As I understood for dip'n'carve candles I need next:

- outside layers - blend of medium melting point (135°F-145°F) paraffin wax and 5% microcrystalline soft (150°F to 160°F). Here is what I'm able to order from manufacturer close by - please find attached spec. Factory is claiming this NPPWA class is specifically made for candle making.

- core - plain paraffin medium MP with stearic acid. But i'm still not sure how much of stearic acid should i put in the base - is 5% enough?

- glaze - as there's no acrylic glaze available, can i use something that can be bought in hardware store? Some sort of varnish maybe?

In summary I'm thinking to go for 145ºF MP paraffin wax for both core and outside layers. I'm wondering if it would make sense to use stearic acid for outside layers in order to get only core to burn? Would this make it harder to carve? Can I increase carving time by increasing temperature of dipping tank?

Please guys help me! I always wanted to make this candles and now maybe i really can... with your help :yay:

BR

post-26631-139458513305_thumb.jpg

Don't know about the wax. If you raise the temperature of the melting tank too much, the next layer of wax will melt off rather than adhering. I like to dip about 160; others go a bit higher; you'll have to experiment a bit to see what works best for you.

You might need to add some microcrystaline additive to make the wax more pliable for carving. There are only a few wax recommendations. If you go to www.candlefun.com the guy has kits and supplies but his prices are a bit high.

IGI 1250 is recommended by www.candlemaking.com

IGI 1343 is recommended by www.lonestarcandlesupply.com

I use 1343 and have added microcrystaline to hold the heat and make it tackier when I stick the slices to the candle. You do not want a brittle wax. Brittle is not only hard to work with, it will fall apart if hit or touched roughly afterwords.

Dipping is different than cut/curl. Lots of folks dip to make tapers. If you are going to cut and curl or carve, you have some additional issues to deal with such has getting all the cuts made while the wax is still hot. I'm not sure I agree about the concern over hot wax stripping off the layer under. That depends on how long you leave it in the dip. I keep my wax around 175 ish and dip pretty fast three times then dip in water, then dip three times fast with the next color, then dip in water then 3 times with the next color, etc. I just want the water to cool the outside layer, not the entire candle, so the water dip is fast.

You have already identified the classic star mold. If it is a tapered star mold, even better. The price of $50 doesn't sound that unreasonable.

Some folks use floor wax for glazing, but it has to be pretty thick.

As for a heater, I found that a restaurant cooker/warmer is great. I found one like this that had 6 round pots about 8 inches deep and 5 inches in diameter. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/apw-wyott-12-x-27-cw-3a-4-3-size-countertop-food-cooker-120v/135CW3A%20%20%20%20%20120.html

If I decide to make larger candles, I am going to consider a bunch of these.... http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-w300bk-6-qt-round-black-countertop-food-warmer-110v-300w/177W300BK.html

There is a difference between a food warmer and a food cooker/warmer. The cooker/warmer will melt your wax pretty fast because it is designed to reach higher temperatures by boiling the water in the vat where the canisters are located. But I found that once melted, I was turning the temp down to the warmer range so I think just the warmer might be ok if cost is an issue and time is not, not sure.

I bought a few of the DVD's at candlefun. Number 1 kinda lays it out for you as to what to do. The rest are just technique to make the candles they show you in the pictures.

Edited by EricofAZ

I already have a tank! :) I thought the hardest job will be to find one, but at the end it was the easiest.

Thanks for explaining me the difference between dipping and cut and curl. Actually I did get confused while researching on internet. I'm trying to make cut and curl candles.

This first DVD from candle.fun, does it explain everything about how to dip, prepare wax, little tricks and so?

I think that now only thing I'm missing is what wax to order. I can't order this from USA, cos it's too far for shipping... :( I need to figure out what kind of normal paraffin wax to use and then how much micro and stearin to add. For now I'm trying to make some dipping and curving with melted candles! :D It's still fun!! Wax is a wax... :rolleyes2

C'mon! There has to be some experts in cooking good wax! :wink2:

In the book "Cut & Carve Candles: Beautiful Candles to Dip, Carve, Twist & Curl" she says she's using a blend 2530/4045 with ratio 50/50. Anybody tried that? An how much are you using ratio are you using stearine or micro in it?