pH test strips

lisafrantz

Welcome to the world of soap-making! :smiley2:

Just a heads-up on strip-type testers- generally speaking, they are not very accurate when it comes to testing the pH of bar-type soap. They are oftentimes known to give false readings that can be off as much as 2 to 3 units. That's because soap is a surfactant, and surfactants don't interact well with the indicator chemicals on the strips. Having said that, though, there is one brand of strips I know of that is heads and tails above the rest, and if you are going to purchase any, I'd look no further than these: http://www.lotioncrafter.com/ph-fix-indicator-strips.html

Here is an excellent article regarding the testing of soap pH that also makes mention of the above-linked strips and how to use them: http://www.millersoap.com/phtome.html

As for myself, to tell if my soaps are safe to use, I just apply the tongue-test instead of using test strips. It's quick, simple, accurate, and best of all, it doesn't cost me anything. lol If I were to ever use strips, though, the ones in the above link would be the ones I'd buy.

Hello! I agree with Marie's excellent response. In fact, when I started to make soap I obtained pH test strips (the cheap kind) and all they are doing is taking up a small amount of space and gathering dust. Soap, when properly made, is very alkaline and, like Marie states, just be concerned about excess lye being present and carefully using the "zap test" (tip of tongue test). Accurate pH testing is better applied to making lotions and other leave-on skin applications.