My First Pour

Guest OldGlory

Give it a try Jeanie! There's nothing like hands-on experience to teach us what each wax will do!

For the fragrances I use, I get excellent HT in 464.

Give it a try Jeanie! There's nothing like hands-on experience to teach us what each wax will do!

For the fragrances I use, I get excellent HT in 464.

I worked with it for about a year along with 444. Used Eco wicks. I've seen in posts where you say you get your FOs. There was one from there I liked a lot but will use other suppliers instead. There are some good ones that are going to be keepers for me. If I do give it a try again, I'll test with those. Do have some 464 and 444 left here from a recent wax buying spree. Never know what I may decide to play with next on any given day.

I prefer using jelly jars for several reasons, but have worked with Prestige & Status jars quite a bit and I have to agree with Chandler and Jeanie that there appears to be something unusual with the way the C&S jars are designed.

I think the heavy solid glass bottom on all of the Prestige & Status jars that I've experienced is one of their best attributes. I would be concerned with the safety of the C&S jars based on what I can assume about their design from the photos in your posts.

I've not worked with the wax you are using and can offer nothing on that subject.

JMO/HTH

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles

Edited by emilyspoppy

I prefer using jelly jars for several reasons, but have worked with Prestige jars quite a bit

Oh Dave...someone who has also used the Prestige jars has posted. Have you, by chance, tried Dollar Tree Status as well? Reason I am asking is I have found the Prestige jars heat up much more than the DT Status. Threw my wicking all off. I'm not saying they are a bad jar by any means, 'cause I don't think they are. They are nice and heavy, seem to be very good quality but is like I have to start over wicking the same jar.

Oh Dave...someone who has also used the Prestige jars has posted. Have you, by chance, tried Dollar Tree Status as well? Reason I am asking is I have found the Prestige jars heat up much more than the DT Status. Threw my wicking all off. I'm not saying they are a bad jar by any means, 'cause I don't think they are. They are nice and heavy, seem to be very good quality but is like I have to start over wicking the same jar.

Jeanie;

I really like the looks of the jars, but for the life of my I could not get them to work like I wanted them to with my wax (4630) no matter how many wick types and sizes I tried. I finally just gave up. This is not to imply that they are not great candle containers, I just never unlocked the mystery to using them. I'm sure many others are smarter than me and do well with them.

JMO/HTH

Hope you're having a "G-R-8" holiday weekend !!!

Dave

ETA; I've noticed the DT jars, but have avoided them largely due to safety concerns about glass quality (heat resistance) and an uncertainty about finding a lid that fits properly.

The jars I've tested from suppliers seem to give me issues after a few burns when air convection issues kick-in. I think there is a benefit to a slight taper inward/downward that the JJ's offer when it comes to air flow during the burn. That is just my observation, however. JMO/HTH

Edited by emilyspoppy
Additional comments.

I think it is because of so much air flow coming into the jar we have problems with them....maybe. I'm not really sure but I do find in the country comfort or apothecary, they are much easier to wick plus have much better HT....IMO.

I had concerns about the DT jars but don't anymore after testing where I couldn't begin to count the number of times the same jar is used over and over again.

Great holiday weekend to you and your family too! :)

• 3 weeks later...

post-16378-139458511304_thumb.jpg

Here's some pics of my first test burn. Since I'm technically challenged, the pictures go from right to left.

The picture on the right is when I first lit the candle.

The next one to the left is 1 hr. & 10 minutes into the burn.

Next is 2 hours into the burn. I'm still pretty happy except that the wick started leaning to the right.

The one on the left is after 3 hours. You can see where it's mushrooming and leaning to the right.

I used a 12 oz. status jar - .70 oz. Peaches & Cream Fragrance from C&S - 1 drop of Peach color - CD12 wick.

CT & HT is very good. There was no dancing of the flame. I am pretty satisfied with the size of the flame. Don't know if I got the wick centered exactly, maybe this is some of why it's leaning and not pooling 100% all over?

I just started Test 2 about 1 1/2 hrs. ago. I also poured two others yesterday. Same jars and scent amount. Only difference is the fragrance came from CW, and I'm trying a CD10 in one and an HTP73 in the other.

Sorry if I'm rambling.

Luanne

post-16378-139458511306_thumb.jpg

post-16378-139458511309_thumb.jpg

post-16378-139458511312_thumb.jpg

Thanks smhicks. I'm just wondering why after I blow out the candle and the wax cools, it doesn't harden smooth. I have craters near the wic, almost like shrinking. The same thing happened with a test of Apple MacIntosh from C& S using same formula as above.

I forgot to add in the previous post I use 464 wax.

Guest OldGlory

Hi Luanne. My laptop is acting up and I can't see your pictures but I might be able to speak to some of the issues you're having.

There's a good chance the incomplete melt pool is a result of a slightly offcenter wick. It could also be a result of a draft around the candle. A little bit of hangup is ok the first and second burn. It often catches up as the candle burns lower.

My candles made with 464 crater on top after they are burned also. Just a fact of life with soy, and I've never heard a customer complain about it. Not saying someone might not complain, I've just never heard anyone do it. I also make candles with 6006 and they are nice and smooth after they burn, so it's just a matter of preference. Hope you're enjoying your candlemaking journey!

Thanks so much OldGlory. I really do think I didn't center the wick exactly. I made a template of my jar and found the center of the circle (wasn't easy :o), and think I centered my second pour much better. The second time I tested, the melt pour was better. Tomorrow I'll do the third test.

I did a first test on C&S Apple MacIntosh (same everything as above). Had almost a full melt pool at 3 hours. Don't know if that was too fast or not. Other than the craters after cooling, everything seems good. Very little 'shroom after 3 hours, no dancing flame, etc.

Luanne