Really Handmade or Big Business?

I'm a bit surprised that this thread appears to be "confusing" to some.

I believe I understand what Paul (JBN) was asking. I also feel like he states, that it would be a bit paranoid to think that the mass marketers would be interested in creating a phony "home-made" candle or B&B line.

How would they market it outside of a website. Would the people who make the decisions at Walmart really think that because they put a label on their made in China candles that says "Susie's Homemade Candles" customers are going to pay a premium because they think they were made in a kitchen rather than a factory? (More on this below.)

I believe there is NO DOUBT that large companies are monitoring this and other sites for information, however. I can easily imagine a weekly board meeting at YC where the person in charge asks for the weekly report from his internet spy(s). I'm sure they would have a more professional title, though.

In my IMAGINATION I can see them not only discussing trends and opinions that we and others put out there for the world to read, but also I believe they STEAL our IDEAS and RECIPES on virtually anything that could be useful to them. Paranoid? Maybe; But I'll give you odds if you want to gamble that I'm wrong.

As far as our discussing other companies, I try to always keep the thought in the back of my mind what can be considered liableous (sp?) when I post on a company's products or reputation. Paranoid? Again, maybe; But I'll give you odds here too if you want to gamble that I'm wrong.

Dave

Not talking about Wally World, Target, etc. It doesn't matter. I do agree that the bigger companies use ideas from the smaller guys all the time to their advantage & pass it off as their own & use sites like this one & others. That's the bottom line. Just like anyone else, they have every right to use the info out there too. Not saying I agree with it.

Will say...wish I hadn't responded to this thread as well. Not worth arguing over.

• 2 months later...

What nonsense!

Manufacturers aren't going to steal your tips. They search for use of their trademarked names, but they aren't wondering if they should use CD or HTP wicks or who has the best Pumpkin Souffle, for Pete's sake.

And what's with using someone's given name when they clearly have a forum sobriquet? Tossing someone else's given name out on a public forum is not proof you have a friend. It's disingenuous and dangerous.