Wick Crimps

eitsfan

I have read thru the forums looking for this answer but did not find it anywhere. I'm hoping someone can help me. I read that a lot of you use metal jewelry crimps for your wicks, but how in the world do you determine what size to get? I'm using 60-44-18Z wicks. I realize the first number is the wick size but how do you get the right crimp for it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

I have read thru the forums looking for this answer but did not find it anywhere. I'm hoping someone can help me. I read that a lot of you use metal jewelry crimps for your wicks, but how in the world do you determine what size to get? I'm using 60-44-18Z wicks. I realize the first number is the wick size but how do you get the right crimp for it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

I make wick assemblies in addition to using factory made wick assemblies.

I believe the crimps you are referring to are one of two types of pliers which jewelers use.

1.) Crimping Pliers - Used to attach tiny crimps to form a small loop which allows jewelers wire, string or "tigertail" to be attached to various jewelers "findings". There are two versions of this tool that I am familiar with. One type has the crimper on the end of the tool. The second type is actually a multi-task type of pliers which usually have round pointed tips and a series of three sized crimping slots near the fulcrum of the tool. Some also have a wire cutter feature.

2.) Split Ring Pliers - This type of pliers is a bit harder to explain. Both tips of the pliers are flat on the inside, but one of them has a bent tip which forms an "L" and contacts the flat side of it's counterpart a little way down the from the tip. I prefer using this tool for making assemblies. It takes some practice, but when done properly the wicks are tightly attached to the wick tabs and the base of the tab is not bent.

You will first need to determine what type of wick tabs you want to use. They come in assorted sizes and styles.

I personally use a 15mm wide X 8mm tall tab with a standard sized opening. I bought a very large amount of them at a great price. I use them for allmost all of our jar candles. I like the extra lenghth the 8mm provides. These wicks will self extinquish with a bit of safety margin left in the jar. I use a 3mm tall tab for votives and tealights. A 20mm wide tab is preferred by some chandlers, but I prefer the 15mm wide ones.

The wick material and size we use is propietary, but I'm sure you will have no problem finding a supplier to tell you what size wick tabs you will need dependant on your wick preference.

Please remember that most chandlers "prime" their wicks before assembly. I use high-temp "wicking wax" for this purpose. I sometimes also do a dip or two on the top part of the assembly in bleached beeswax to give it a nice appearance. The top coat can be skipped though.

Wick assemblies are not hard to make and the savings in cost can be significant if you can buy the materials smartly.

BTW; I made (still do) jewelry before making my own assemblies. I already had the tools I mentioned.

JMO/HTH

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response, but I was actually referring to the crimps folks use on gel candle wicks to prevent the flame from reaching the sand or whatever the base may be and now after re-reading my message, probably should have said metal jewelry beads instead of crimps. I bought my wicks already pre-made but am just tyring to figure out what size bead to put on them to stop the flame. I'm gonna guess here and say I should probably take a wick with me to Michaels and measure it that way? Thanks again!

Chris

Edited by eitsfan

Chris, That is one way, the other is to find someone with a machinist caliper or micrometer. Do a Google search and you'll see what tools I am talking about. Measure the szie of your wick with one of them. The packages of jewelry crimps you are talking about, should have a hole size listed on the package. Compare that to the wick size (The hole obviously needs to be slightly larger) and you should be all set once you use a crimping tools which also can be bought at Micheals or wherever you buy your craft stuff.