Making Votives?

For any of us out there ( I haven't even started ) how many have decided to pour your votives directly into glass or use a mold and sell them without. From what I have read I know that Soy makes a better container wax. I know BeanPod candles sells their votives without. I have just received my votive molds but am going to hold off for a bit to decide whether or not to use them.

I suppose it might come down to preference but I am curious for a consensus.

Hi Chappyk,

I have entertained the idea of pouring directly into the glass, but never have. I use the 2-piece votive molds and LOVE them. It makes it so easy production wise. I have plastic tubes that hold 6 votives and that is how I sell them at this time. :)

Edited by puma52

I think the only thing about pouring directly into glass is that some people have their own holders at home and also finding packaging that would fit, but again....I guess doing it both ways and seeing the results will tell.

In my experience, the people who regularly burn votives buy the individual votives. However when they are making a purchase for gift giving they will get one poured into a holder and buy some "extras". So I'd recommend making individuals the bulk of your pouring ~ and then pick a great aroma to pour into a holder and package with a variety of other (different) individual aromas.

Cut a cardboard bottom for a gusseted clear polypro bag, add some shred and a filled holder with 2-5 individuals. Add a hangtag at the top that has the required info and attach it with raffia. Low cost and a great gift giving idea.

ETA - Actually I've done the above presentation all with individual votives ... just drop the scent you want into the votive holder. The wax I use needs to have the container heated before pouring to prevent jump lines. Using the individuals saves a lot of pouring prep time.

Edited by Judy, USMC
added info

The farmer's market that I have been selling at for several years only allows "handmade". I would have some customers that didn't have a votive container to burn votives in, so......in order to sell them a glass votive holder, I made some of the votives in the little glass votive holders and sold them that way. I would tell those few customers that didn't have votive holders that they could reuse the containers of the little candles to burn their votives. Had a sell and didn't break any rules!