Glass Container Choice Cause of Uneven Cooling?

Hi All! I have had the most difficult time with my soy wax (C3 Naturewax) cooling evenly. My tops always cool much faster then the bottom, creating crazy bubbling and air pockets, especially around the wick. My husband and I have been troubleshooting and testing for close to 6 months now and doing everything correctly, but it's close to impossible to control the cooling. We cool in a covered wooden box on a cooling rack in a 70 degree room. The only thing left that I'm wondering about is the glass I chose for our container. It's a Libbey 11 oz Heavy Base Rocks Tumbler with very thin (1/8") sides then about an 1" to an 1-1/2" heavy glass bottom. Could the thick glass bottom be messing up my cooling? I just realized it may play a part after all this time (duh!) but I'm not sure? I've been doing some searching on this forum to see if this has happened to anyone else? I did decide to place an order for the same size glass by Libbey, only with a glass bottom that has a more even width with the sides, hoping maybe that will help? Any insight is appreciated, many thanks!

Guest OldGlory

It could be causing the bottom to stay warm, and the sides and top to cool faster. But, the bottom being against a surface is going to insulate the bottom as well. I don't see a solution to cooling the bottom at the same rate the top is cooled.

Have you considered a different wax?

It could be causing the bottom to stay warm, and the sides and top to cool faster. But, the bottom being against a surface is going to insulate the bottom as well. I don't see a solution to cooling the bottom at the same rate the top is cooled.

Have you considered a different wax?

That gets my vote :) Me & C3 did not get along, lol.

I've never worked with soy but have you considered getting a cookie / pie cooling rack?

Put your jars on it, pour and cover with a cardboard box.

The rack will help with the bottom cooling and the box will help bleed off heat at a more consistent rate - plus help with any possible drafts.

Thanks for your replies! OldGlory, yes, I've actually ordered IGI 4627 and it's sitting here looking at me right now (haven't tried it yet) but the perfectionist in me can't seem to let the C3 wax go without a fight... but I am completely losing the battle! It's such a bubbly wax! I originally switched from Ecosoya Advanced - I was able to make a perfect looking candle with not a bubble in sight it but it had absolutely no hot throw so I thought I'd give C3 wax a try. I've done everything short of singing them a lullaby to try and get them to work, but I'm left with bubbly candles no matter what. I tempered the wax overnight and when I reheated it in the morning the bubbles were out of this world, so many of them!!! I think I'm the only one where USA made my tops even worse! I'm giving it one last go with my testing, I made the most perfect relief holes yesterday and will fill them this morning. I was thinking my relief holes were too messy before and that maybe was causing more bubbles, but in the end I really don't think it should be this difficult. I've been putting in the time, (and yes, I have a completely isolated, draft free wooden box I put them in to cool, I preheat the jars, but not too hot, and they cool on baking racks inside the box)

I really wanted to use soy but now I realize I really want a candle that is bubble and sink hole free with a nice hot throw, maybe 4627 will be my hero?! It's been a long journey and am really excited to have a candle that works! I like reading that this wax just doesn't work for some people, it makes me feel like less of a failure! Thanks all for your comments!

Edited by Zelda