Tips for First Trade Show

I am finally planning on doing my first craft show during the second week of Novemeber. I am splitting a space with a friend (it's outdoors and large enough for us to fit two tables). He sells hand crafted jewelry so our products don't step on each other's toes at all and splitting the cost for the space is always cool.

I am a little curious about how other folks handle the nuts and bolts of setting up for a trade show. Do you label your goods with prices individually, or set up a "menu" price schedule for the table. What about bags / packaging to carry purchases? Do you folks worry about providing that or not. Would it be tacky if I recycled old grocery store plastic bags?

Until now I have sold by word of mouth and semi-wholesale to a lady who owns a consignment shop, so I am a little giddy thinking about event. :shocked2:

Is it a trade show or a craft show? They are worlds different.

As far as pricing, I used to print the price on my labels. That didn't stop people from gawking all over the thing, then asking, "how much are these?" The bad thing about printing the price on the label is you might change your pricing from time to time, even weekend to weekend, depending on how you sell.

Yes, recycled plastic grocery bags are tacky. Equally tacky is table covers that don't reach the floor/ground.

Sorry, it's a craft show. I've got the table coverings lined up. Standard dj / catering cloths for standard folding tables. The go to the ground. I was thinking about writing prices on like a blackboard or something or maybe just have some brochures. Honestly I don't expect to necessarily be doing super brisk business so I kinda figured I'd have the time to chat with customers and tell them how much things are. I really wanted to avoid sticking tags or stickers on the stuff with prices for the reasons you suggested.

The show I am doing is the biggest in the area, but in scouting I found it to be more giant garage sale than upscale craft show. There was a mix of folks selling vintage stuff (second hand crap) and a few candle sellers (mostly yankee / scentsy). I am sorta stoked because no one was doing soap the two weekends I went, but that may be because there is no demand for it. We'll see.

Edited by GrinningGoblin

The wet board (I can't think what they're called, either, lol) is a good idea.

Truth is it doesn't matter how you display your price, they're still gonna ask. It's one of life's little mysteries.

Another one of life's little mysteries, and one that makes me crazy, is you have to encourage people to take off lids and sniff. Otherwise, they'll stand there snorting a lid 'til they're blue in the face.

I have a long list of mysteries.

You are going to be so busy making product that you will not have time to price individually...I sure didn't. I did a "menu" type price list and then placed them inside the acrylic stands that set on the table. At least 2 would be good. If you do not have any prices, people I am afraid will walk on by. If you want to WOW people , forget the plastic bags. Some beautiful tissue paper w/coordinating bags would be a great way for your product to stand out from everyone elses. If you have a Tax ID # go to WWW.NASHVILLEWRAPS.COM They have LOTS of wonderful choices for bags that you would be proud to put your product in and your customer will leave feeling pretty darned special because you cared enough to spend a little extra for beautiful bags.:) Wishing you the very best!

Edited by puma52

I used the acrylic sign holders mentioned because I had two left over from a church carnival event from a few years ago.

I printed some copy points and made the price nice and large. It helped me that I had one type of item and the price was the same.

Sliver-I had sniff jars for my main scents and people kept asking if they could buy them (?). Many also insisted that they could smell better through the sealed bottom of my heavy polypro bags than through the open/fabric tied top.

I made coffee bean jars and they went largely unused.