Palm vs Paraffin or Para-Blend?

Hopefully some of you palm users can help me out. I've never tried palm. What are some of the pros and cons of this wax (in it's various forms) and does palm give a better HT than the leading paraffin (or para-blend) waxes....or vice versa? I've heard some ppl say that the throw is awesome...and then others hated it! So I came to ask the experts. :)

BTW...I'm much LESS interested in the wicking aspects/problems with palm...as I hear that there are many :( and much MORE interested in how well it throws, ease of use, (slab or other, coloring, any additives or adjusted FO amts, mold release properties...etc) as well as the best type(s) of Palm to use for NON-wicked products. (Melts and wickless candles etc). I do not want the headache of fighting yet another wax that's a "palm in the butt" to wick. :laugh2:

Do any of you know of suppliers who sell palm by the small sampler bags? I know that some other waxes are sold this way but not sure about this one.

Lastly, if palm does NOT perform well on it's own why do ppl use it? Simply for the visual aspects that it produces? If this is the case...could you (or would you WANT to) add other waxes to palm for better performance?

Thanks ya'll!

Mt Annie

P.S. I did a Google search but could not find the answers to my questions above. I could have used the wrong wording...(that's been known to happen) :) so any good info/pro/con links would also be appreciated.

Mountain_Annie, I cannot tell you how palm compares to paraffin because I don't use paraffin, but I can tell you how it compares to soy: Kinda like apples and green beans. Both are veggie waxes but the properties of palm wax are so different from both soy and paraffin, they aren't easily comparable. Some people have trouble wicking it - I don't, perhaps because when I began using it, I had no point of comparison and no preconceived expectations other than that it would burn and throw well. I like CDNs for wicking palm wax.

Every supplier from whom I have purchased palm wax offers small 10 pound sample quantities (by checking supplier websites you can see what they have to offer - links to suppliers can be found in the "sticky" threads at the top of this forum. I am not a big fan of Glass Glow (a container blend), but I really like the other palm waxes I have sampled.

I like its hardness, ability to shine, the different crystal patterns that different formulas achieve and the different effects one can get by varying the pouring temperature.

I am quite satisfied with the hot throw. I wouldn't call it awesome, but it does a good job with most FOs that work well in soy. I find it throws slightly better than does soy. I really like the fact that it has no odor of its own (soy has a creamy odor).

The biggest drawback IMO is the air trapping propensity. It's a PITA with which to deal. I have my own method of dealing with the air traps, but it's a step I could do without for sure!

Another drawback is its brittleness. Edges of pillars dent and powder easily. It is very hard, so flat surfaces do not dent as badly as softer waxes, but those edges will chip and crush pretty easily. Because it crushes, a small dent is very noticable.

The crystal pattern sometimes gives people fits when it doesn't turn out as they had hoped, but once one becomes accustomed to pouring palm wax, you learn how to obtain consistent results.

It is not as easy to clean up as is soy, although that's mostly a minor inconvenience.

I don't like palm wax for wickless products. Small tarts are okay, but it is not safe to use in glass melt containers because of its properties (there are several threads about using palm in wickless applications).

For more information on palm wax, try the search tool up top in the blue stripe between the "new posts" and "quick links." You'll find loads of info in the veggie wax forum here. HTH :)

Thanks much Stella! You certainly seem to know your palm. :)

I'm not a huge fan of wickless either but my customers absolutely love them. In many cases where a flame simply cannot be used (workplace, schools, etc.,) it's a great alternative. Our wickless customers rarely (if ever) purchase our wicked candles once they try the wickless. ALL of our candles, rather wicked or not, have a super HT but well over half of our customers prefer no wick..

All of my wickless jars and metal containers are quite small (always 8 oz or less. Usually 4-6 oz) so they're not that much different than a large wax melt. :)

I had already gone through a few pages in the search link above...but did not find very much info. Perhaps I didn't go far enough. I'll revise my search for "wickless palm" etc, and see what happens. You have me very interested in knowing why you shouldn't melt palm in glass melt containers. :)

Thanks again! There was a WEALTH of useful info in your post and I DO appreciate your prompt reply.

Mt Annie

-------------------

I can compare palm container/pillar wax to parasoy. Every FO I use for parasoy scents as well in palm. Since you can't get as large a meltpool with palm as parasoy, I would put parasoy slightly above palm in hot throw.

Palm is very difficult to wick in containers & pillars; mine always leave hangup on sides. IMHO, you loose about 10-15% of your candle as hangup. I don't think this is necessarily bad because palm is so beautiful & I understand why the candle (wax) is not entirely consumed. I agree with Stella, palm is totally different from any other wax!! I had the wicking down great CSN11 & the last batch of palm I got is a little different. Now CSN11 is too small. I love palm, but will my customers take the time to burn is correctly? I'm not sure.

I would NEVER make wickless, even tarts out of palm. Because palm forms such a "hard crust" on top, when you heat it from the bottom, the heated wax is trapped below the crust. I think it could explode (crack the glass) because of the heated wax trying to get to the surface. I use one of my TurknSurf pots to melt my palm. If I do not keep punching holes in the top, I get a pretty good mini explosion and lots of palm flying out of the pot. It's scared me silly before!!

I still LOVE palm and will keep trying to manage it, but probably will not market it till I get it tamed. Carole

I just got through burning a F&M in the 14oz Keepsake Jar (they call it 16oz) using Glass Glow. Wicked with 2 csn 9 and burned perfectly. Not to hot and totally consumed. My pillars I like to under wick a little because of the way it burns. Burned a midnight pomegranate in the feather last week wicked with csn 9 and I have liked the way it burned also. I don't like the looks of the wax after it has been used in a melter or wickless would be the same way. I would recommend paraffin for wickless and tarts.

You ladies have some GREAT answers & info!

Bugtussle, you answered perfectly my "burning" question (pun intended - grin-) as to why palm is not recommended in glass burners. I do LOVE the crystalized look of the palm melts etc...but I suppose for now...after reading all of your messages... I'll just stick with my regular wax. :)

I wanted something a bit more glitzy for Spring. Are there other ways to make ho-hum wax look more... "elegant"? Do any of you use mica/glitter in your wax...or is this too a no-no?

Mt Annie