Wax Melts-EcoSoya Q230

Fitzfam2009

Hello! I am getting back into candles after a LONG time away so it's pretty much a brand new start for me, since everything has changed. I made container and tin candles in the past with paraffin wax and want to now work with Soy. I want to make melts but not Tarts, and ordered the new EcoSoya Q230 blend, because I wanted a harder wax due to living in Arizona. My first test was pretty ok, the wax melted great and had a good CT. I went home for the holidays and took samples (I tested 3 fragrances, all from candle soylutions) with my to have my sisters test and I got mixed reviews. One said that I needed more fragrance, I used 6%, and the other two told me it was very strong in the beginning but faded out. I also was told that using a bulb warmer it lasted 5-6 hours (with 0.5oz melt). I used a plate warmer and had a good HT but for me it seemed to burn out and begin to smell burned to me after 3-4 hours.   

I have been reading that soy needs time to cure and today has been 2 weeks since they have been curing. I also know that many people have not tested the new Q230 so there may not be many opinions out there. I'm hoping anyone can help me to figure out how to extend my HT time. :D How do you test your melts? Do you let heat nonstop, or let run for a few hours, then turn off, and reheat? 

Thank you!! 

I have made a few test batches of melts with the Q230. I did them at the max load of 18%. I tested at 24 hours  (since I had enough and was curious), 5 days, and 2 weeks out. One performed really well at 24 hours but the rest did better at the 5 day and 2 week mark.

Both CT and ht were great. I've had to pause on testing due to a cold. So, I'm still testing for longevity. But, I test my melts by writing down what time I turn my melter on/off and leave it on for 4 to 8 hours at a time. I take notes on how it's throwing throughout the process. Trying to simulate how customers would use it. I also do a test run with leaving it on til it dies out. Also, I do this in a bedroom and then in my kitchen/dining to see how it goes in other/larger parts of the house. 

If I'm satisfied with my results I give it to testers to get some outside feedback.

Edited by Sebleo

14 minutes ago, Sebleo said:

I have made a few test batches of melts with the Q230. I did them at the max load of 18%. I tested at 24 hours  (since I had enough and was curious), 5 days, and 2 weeks out. One performed really well at 24 hours but the rest did better at the 5 day and 2 week mark.

Both CT and ht were great. I'e

Thanks for the info! I made 2 test batches, using about 7.5% FO, and the one I tested 48 hours later and it was AMAZING! It lasted 19 hours running nonstop and never smelled burned. This could be the FO tho since I used a different FO manufacture for my first batch and it was a dud. Do you think that if you used less than 18% FO would yield the same results? There's no way I could use 18% FO. 

56 minutes ago, Fitzfam2009 said:

Thanks for the info! I made 2 test batches, using about 7.5% FO, and the one I tested 48 hours later and it was AMAZING! It lasted 19 hours running nonstop and never smelled burned. This could be the FO tho since I used a different FO manufacture for my first batch and it was a dud. Do you think that if you used less than 18% FO would yield the same results? There's no way I could use 18% FO. 

Of course, I HAVE to ask which FO that was.

7 hours ago, Fitzfam2009 said:

As far as using less than 18%, I don't know. I will try. LoneStar has a break down for the new waxes they tested on their Facebook page and they got below average to average results at 10%. Average to above average at 18%. So, I really wanted to see what it would do at the max and back off from there. 

I'm getting over my cold finally so I will resume testing next week. I will post more results when I have them.

14 hours ago, Sebleo said:

As far as using less than 18%, I don't know. I will try. LoneStar has a break down for the new waxes they tested on their Facebook page and they got below average to average results at 10%. Average to above average at 18%. So, I really wanted to see what it would do at the max and back off from there. 

I'm getting over my cold finally so I will resume testing next week. I will post more results when I have them.

Will look for them! Can't wait to hear how your results turn out! 

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to get back with you on my testing. I only tested a few more oils and while they were good, they weren't better than the palm I have been using. I really like working with palm and would only switch if there was a significant difference.