416 for tarts

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

When I bought 415 to try in candles, I also bought 416 to try in clamshells. I have been using 464 in clamshells but I don't like the frost. I was also open to finding a slightly harder wax for the warmer months ahead.

I find 416 to give a bit less frosting and the frosting is less of a "patch of frost" and more of a dispersed/interspersed frost. Almost like a mottle because it is throughout the wax.

416 is also harder than 464. I let it sit in the clamshell for 12 days, then broke off a piece from the 416 and a piece from the 464. The 416 breaks off cleanly and has a bit of a gloss to it, the 464 is crumbly. It took a little bit longer for the 416 to melt, but the fragrance throw is equal to that of the 464 (not sure this is ever an issue).

I am going to switch to 416. I think the extra hardness of 416 will hold up better in the heat.

Adding a little PB Helps tremendously with frost

I use 40% and have used it with 464-135-415 and excel- the excel blend I have to say is the best for appearance but I didn't want to have 3 waxes to buy so I stuck with 415

I was trying 416 and 444 recently for tarts. The throw with both was fantastic but the ugly cauliflower look kept popping up. I like the look of the frost. It looks like rustic pillars. I prefer that over the random mottled look.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest OldGlory

Man, I am having such a hard time today with the 416. I am trying different temps for pouring and everything I try requires a repour. Sometimes the repour is worse that the original pour. I know the wax will perform well - throws well in a warmer and is firmer that 464 - but this frosting is going to drive me to drinking. :mad: