Just starting

cricket

Hey, you sound like me!! I was buying those as well.

A crafty friend encouraged me to try making my own. I am not crafty and am known for being clumsy so I was certain that this could be tragic.

Instead, I am having fun, have learned a ton by researching and reading here and everyone has been SUPER kind and patient with the questions that I have asked.

Do you know if you want to use soy, parasoy or paraffin?

Sounds like we are in the same boat.

I'm not real crafty either and consider myself clumsy. Needed to find a good hobby and have made one batch of CP soap. We burn a lot of scentsy bars and I thought I could benefit more by doing my own.

I've read that soy throws a good scent but a friend said she thought paraffin was better.

Open to any advice.

I started with this tutorial and bought the KY133 wax as shown. It is a granulated wax as fine as sand or sugar. I mainly make brittle.

http://library.rusticescentuals.com/item_11/How-to-Make-Scent-Brittle.htm

I also have some Wilton brownie bite molds. I got them with Joann/Hobby Lobby/Michael's with 40% or 50% off one item coupons. Michael's has 50% off bakeware tomorrow and Saturday. I plan to get some more tomorrow.

With the help of posters here I am currently testing IGI 4794 and a blend of IGI 4625 and 4630. I just poured my first tests last night and tonight. So, I will melt this weekend and see what I think.

The melts I like the most seemed to be paraffin so I have started there.

I do not have a wax business and have no plans to sell. I am just making wax for myself and plenty to share with others who I discover (or can talk into) like to melt.

Thanks for all the great information. I must go Michael's. I've thought of using the silicone bakware to make sugar scrubs.

I think I might start out with the paraffin. But please let me know how your two tests turn out.

I'm not planning on selling either. However, if I get too carried away I can create baskets to be auctioned off his club meetings.

If you get wax at Michael's, it's a straight paraffin. You'll need additives for the fragrance oil to bind with the wax. Stearic Acid is used to harden the wax and you'd use about 1/2 - 1 tablespoon per pound of wax (by weight, not volume). Vybar helps bind the FO to the wax as well as enhancing the scent's hot throw. You'll need to use about 1/2 teaspoon per pound of wax.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate scentsy! When the scent fades, which isn't a long time till that happens, it smells like burnt plastic to me. I tried a candle company local to me and they used soy and my melts lasted forever.

So I use soy only! For fragrance oils I use Candlescience, but going to try Peaks soon. I'm so clumsy myself, but this seems to be my niche. Good luck and have fun!