Rock and a Hard Place - Palm Pillar Burn

Hello party people!

I have a question for you all. I'm trying to get my pillar line going and running into a wick issue. Man testing pillars takes forever! I've tried LX, HTP, CC, RRD and ECO. I like the ECO wick the best but the size difference is killing me. The ECO 8 is a little large and the ECO 6 is a little small, only if they had a 7 :mad: I'm using Palm wax as the post title states @ 3" x 6" size.

Here is the before and after of the ECO 8 pillar. It seems I have a 8-12 hour period before the sides will melt and leak with the ECO 8. The pillar on the left is after an 8 hour burn. and the one of the right is 40 or so hours with 8-12 hour sessions.

post-14326-139458492599_thumb.jpg

I'm going to have a warning label on the bottom that says something to the fact "only burn candle for 5-6 hours"...

Below is the ECO 6 and this is about after a 25-35 hour burn. The flame is very small, but has not burned out on it's own yet.

post-14326-139458492596_thumb.jpg

Anyways, what do you guys/gals think? ECO 8 to big, ECO 6 too small, forget them both and use different, LX, HTP, RRD? :confused:

Thanks

~Russell

www.orangecoastcandles.com

post-14326-139458492584_thumb.jpg

Edited by OCcandles

I've been using CDN wicks for palm wax pillars for many years. The treatment with which they are impregnated helps resist the higher acidity of palm wax for a more efficient burn.

One can either wick the candles for complete consumption or to leave a shell which can be relit with an electric tealight when the center of the pillar is consumed. I prefer the latter. The pillars I make will tolerate extremely long burns without blowouts, although best practice is to burn them for 1 hour per inch of diameter. The biggest problem is keeping the heat centered in the candle.

For the size pillar you are making, with 5.88% FO load (1 oz. PP), a CDN 10 or 12 works very well with most FOs I have tested. HTH :smiley2:

Edited by Stella1952

Wohooo this is the stuff me and Stella have been discussing for weeks. For me 45 ply works also, but I too think LX and CD is the way to go. I never tried eco but the jumps in eco do suck. Stella knows her stuff! I too will go to CD wicks. But I may do LX. I will see. Sometimes I make the candles in such a ay that no shell is left, its bright and the candle looks ugly when burned.

Edited by Gbhunter