Infrared Thermometer question

I have what might be a silly question, but here goes. For those of you that use an infrared thermometer, how close should the gun be to the surface of the wax for the most accurate reading? I know that I need to stir the wax first for the most accurate reading, but I couldnt find anything about distance. I pour my wax from the presto pot into a 2 cup pyrex glass, so I guess the diameter that I would be measuring would be maybe about 4 inches or so (if that matters).

Thanks,

The distance is not important as long as your not standing across the room. I've used them for years at work, not for candlemaking the real expensive ones and we only ever used for for a quick reference and not for an accurate reading. I have one and I compared it to my digital thermomenter (that is accurate) and it only reads close to the temperature. HTH

M&G - I use an IR thermometer along with regular therms. You will get pros and cons as to their accuracy. I find they vary very little with digital or regulat therms. As to distance from the wax surface, that is not a major issue. I would try to be within a few inches, 6 to 10. That's one of the advantages of an IR thermometer, you can measure the temp a couple of feet away if necessary and get the same reading. I have friends that use them for grilling and other outdoor cooking. One friend swears by the IR for checking the temp of his oil for deep frying fish.

Hope this helps. If you have a specific question, please ask and I will try to answer.

J.Snow

My IR thermometer has a Distance:Target scale sticker on the side that basically shows graphically that the 'footrpint' of the heat sensor increases with distance - much the same was as the spotlight from penlight torch gets larger the further away from the subject the torch is moved.

Mine says it is 5:1 - Looking at the sticker, if you hold the thermo 5 inches from the surface, the 'sample' footprint will be 1 inch in diameter.

The footprint is important as my model take an áverage' of the footprint - if I am too far away and the footprint is big enough to measure something other that the hot wax, the measurement can be influenced.

I normally just hold my thermo 2 or 3 inches above what I want to measure - this way I am unlikely to get influenced by a larger footprint and averaging. I am not as careful if the pot I am measuring is large, and the reverse if it is small.

Not sure of they all work the same way though...although I would imagine the 'footprint' would increase with distance on all of them.

Bart