What gives a hair conditioner it's "slipperiness"?

Reg

Here's my story: my daughter has long hair, down to her waist (she is 3 y.o.), and recently her hair started tangling up horribly. I tried using detangling sprays that are made for kids, and they don't help. I tried braiding her hair overnight, and that helps some for nighttime tangles, but not 100%. During the day I try to keep her hair in a ponytail, but the elastic still slips off over time (or my dd takes is out) and her hair still tangles. Now I need to invent some sort of conditioner or concoction to help hair stay tangle free. I prefer more natural stuff if there is an option. But I was thinking of adding a "slippery" ingredient to her current hair conditioner (I use natural organic baby conditioner). What I don't understand is what happened to her hair? It never tangled like that before. Now if I don't braid/tie her hair right away after combing (and she absolutely hates combing), in about 30 minutes she starts getting dread locks. HELP!

Hello Reg! I also have long, tangle-prone hair and have to sleep in braids to keep it under control. I understand! I find that adding a little cylcomethicone and dimethicone to my conditioners made all the difference. Just 2% each gives my conditioner slip and detangling qualities. I hope that helps your little girl!

• 2 weeks later...