Switching my sugar scrub to emulsified

CellarDweller

Hello all!!

I have been using a recipe of 1/2 C white sugar to 1 oz each avocado and SAO and would like to turn this into an emulsified scrub but not too hard.

Can anyone give me a starting point of percentage / ratio to add E-wax and/or stearic? I tried the recipe from Ellens Essentials which was 21% ewax & 16% stearic and found it WAY TOO waxy.

Also, why do most recipes call for both ewax and stearic?

Thanks for any insight!!

Hello all!!

I have been using a recipe of 1/2 C white sugar to 1 oz each avocado and SAO and would like to turn this into an emulsified scrub but not too hard.

Can anyone give me a starting point of percentage / ratio to add E-wax and/or stearic? I tried the recipe from Ellens Essentials which was 21% ewax & 16% stearic and found it WAY TOO waxy.

Also, why do most recipes call for both ewax and stearic?

Thanks for any insight!!

How about try BTMS and cetyl alcohol instead? I like those much better in my emulsified scrubs than I do ewax and stearic.

The amount of e-wax is dependent on the amount of oils in your recipe. Typically, e-wax would be 25% of the oils in your recipe. So if you had 15% oils, you would use 3.75% e-wax. Stearic and/or cetyl is used to lend extra thickness to the mixture, and act as co-emulsifiers, making sure the mixture holds together. I usually use cetyl at half the amount of e-wax, or you can skip it for a thinner mixture. BTMS is a little different in that the usage rate depends more on the desired consistency than a specific usage rate. Check out lotioncrafter or the herbarie for info on BTMS. I hope this helps!