decent brands from craft stores?

LuminousBoutique

My friends daughter is coming to stay for a few nights and she really wanted to make some soaps one night with a friend- I dont want to mess with making real soap with them, they are giggly awkward 13 year olds, and lye doesnt work with that - lol. So I thought melt and pour would be safe and really fun for them to try, but I dont have time to order any.

Are there any brands from Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or JoAnns that are decent? I'm thinking they can make some sugar scrub cubes and some bars, so I guess we would want clear but it really doesnt matter- I was just wondering if any of you have tried the stuff from the craft stores and can tell me if its decent at all.

It's not ideal, but for your purpose, I can understand :) Make sure you watch Hobby Lobby's website, they often have a 40% off coupon, so then its $6 for 2 pounds rather than $10 for 2 pounds. When I first started, I bought some from Hobby Lobby to play with and was not crazy about the regular clear, but the ones with additives are a bit better - I can't remember the brand name, but they have Olive Oil, Shea Butter, etc and they are suspending bases, so you could play with some additives too.

Obviously the best plan is to order some base from a supplier, but if time is of the essence and it's just for play time, the base from HL will work in a pinch :)

Yeah shes coming in 2 days and just asked, so there is no time. Its just not something I keep on hand. The 40% coupon is always there on the website!! its awesome.. I print it out weekly and just keep it in my purse. You have to print it out once a week because they are only good for 7 days, but its so nice to have when I go get fabric! :yay:

I'll check there first- I looked at JoAnns online but there didnt seem to be much selection

I'm wondering the same thing and would like to experiment without having to order. I think if we buy like from Hobby Lobby and use one of those recipes in the M & P recipe thread with added goodies it will be fine. :smiley2:

I gave my friend some base to play with and she added a tesp. of olive oil to the base, colored with food coloring. Also she bought some colored bars of glycerin soap at the dollar store and cut it up and added to her clear, no scent, for a different look. maybe they could carve little shapes out of the store bought glycerin soap and add to the clear you buy. Their initials would be cute. Also she said the store bought bars of glycerin soap did not melt well at all.

Edited by Sharon in KY