Lecithin and Xanthan Gum help

DREWSMOM

Hi,

I wanted to try to switch out e wax for lecithin as a emulsifier in my lotions. I'm having issues with this with ALL my regular recipes. I usually use 4% of e wax in my facial lotion. When I mix this in I heat/melt it with my oils and thickener. It comes out in a yellow gooey sticky yucky mess!

Any suggestions?

Also, I haven't used xanthan gum before and was wondering if anyone could offer advice. I know to use 1% in the formula, but should I put this in my oil phase or dissolve in my water phase? Just wondering if it's different. THanks so much!

:sad2:

can't say what might be happening with your ewax without more info...can you post your recipe so we can help troubleshoot? If it's a good recipe, may be you have some bad e-wax.

sorry can't help you with the lecithin issue...never used it

you might try reading up on lotioncrafter.com or the herbarie.com for more info on it

Hi,

Here is my complete recipe.

48 % water

15 % aloe juice

15% rose water

2% glycerine

9% grapeseed oil

4% ewax

1% xanthan gum

1%preservative

2% oat protein

2% panthenol

other %'s are extracts

I substituted the e wax for lecithin and made it the same way. I've done this in my regular hand lotion and body butter recipe too.

Are you having issues with your e-wax, or lecithin as the emulsifier?

If it's the latter, I suspect you're having issues because lecithin is not a complete emulsification system like e-wax or BTMS is. In order to use lecithin successfully, you'll have to combine it with another emulsifier using the HLB system. Lecithin has an HLB of anywhere from 4-9 depending on what kind you're using, so you'll need to know what HLB your first particular lecithin is.