Please help with wick choice - IGI Victory Blend

I just starting to test the Victory Blend, and am having problems. I think it has more paraffin than my usual 30/70 WSP SP wax/GB 464 blend that I've been playing with. I usually use CD wicks (and just started testing CDNs).

I tried a CD8 in an 8 oz jelly jar with 6% Vanilla Voodoo, and the flame is 1 inch tall. Should I switch wick types due to the higher paraffin? I have HTPs, zincs, RRDs, and a few LX's. What size should I start out with? Thanks.

Hi Naomi, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I gave up on the victory blend...I hit it with every wick and size in my arsenal (I have them all ha!) and they were all torches. Let me see if I can find my notes...maybe I had a success I don't remember.

Hope you don't mined me asking but, What did you find wrong with WSP SP Wax that you had to blend it with something else? Also what did you blend it with and how much of each? The reason I ask is I've been playing around a little with this wax and can't seem to find too many people using it to compare any notes with. tia, Cindy/WI

Uh, oh. Looks like I may have to "blend the blend" like I ended up doing with WSP's SP wax. :sad2: At least I have almost a case of 464 that I can blend with. I just wish I could find a premade parasoy that I like.

Naomi

I found that there was hardly any cold throw using the SP wax after curing 2 weeks, compared to GB464 that I was already using. The hot throw wasn't any better, either. I was really perplexed because of the rave reviews for the SP wax on WSP's website. I like a 30/70 or 25/75 blend of SP/464. Nice smooth look, no hidden sink holes around the wick in this cooler weather, and I still get a decent scent throw.

Naomi

Hi Naomi. I just wanted to comment that I feel your pain. I have tried the waxes you have tried. I had so much trouble with the Victory Blend that I returned it to the supplier. I also tried the SP wax a while back and had trouble with soot with my CD wicks. I found the perfect blend at Early American Candle, just outside of Pittsburgh. It was called J360 which he said was blended just for him, but I called to order more and it has been discontinued. It puts me in a really bad place just before Christmas, with no notice on it being discontinued. I bought it just 2 months ago and there was no mention of it being discontinued. So now I am back to testing. I am trying the SP wax again, but I am not getting a clean burn all the time. I get a great HT though. I also ordered some KY parasoy blend to try. Not sure about which wicks to even try with that wax or this SP wax. I can't believe that after 6 years of candlemaking, I am starting from scratch again. I am so tired of switching waxes. Good luck and keep me updated!

Thanks Jennyjo. I'd love to hear how the KY parasoy performs. I'm testing more candles I recently made with the Victory Blend, and they are all torches!:angry2: I can't believe a wax company like IGI would put out a wax that is this difficult. I'm sure they would do extensive testing before putting it on the market, wouldn't they???

I just looked on KY's website and they tested their parasoy with HTP's and zinc. I'm going to do some more testing before I give up on Victory Blend completely. I'm a glutton for punishment.:P

Naomi

So far I like the KY parasoy. It seems like it will be easy to wick. I am using CD's in mine because thats what I have always used, but I bought some zincs just in case. I have one test candle so far, and I haven't had any soot or problems. I am going to pour many more testers over the next two days and I will let you know how it goes. good luck on the Victory. I so wanted that wax to work for me.

Editted to add: The hot throw is very good on the KY parasoy, also.

Edited by jennyjo