Density of Fragrance Oils

Hello Everyone,

Found this message board 2 days ago and have been reading ever since. You are so helpful to everyone - that I feel comfortable to jump right in. I'm reading that wick sizes can change due to the density of the oils. How does one find out the differences in the oils. I read that vanilla and cinnamon are difficult and saw the same thing about Patchouli. Does it have to do with the flashpoint? :shocked2: As I kept reading - I was saying "So help me - I have so much to learn." Hence, my name.

Thanks!

soyhelpme

Hi and welcome to the board. To answer your question, it doesn't have to do with the flash point, it's the actual weight of the oil. As you mentioned, vanilla and cinnamon based fo's tend to be heavier in weight and thus need a larger wick to accommodate this. Really the only way to determine the right wick is through trial and error. You can learn a lot on the board about this but most of us learn through testing the different fo's and wicks in whatever type of wax we are using. Different waxes require different types of wicks as well. It can be quite a lengthy process at times and a bit frustrating but you'll muttle your way through it. What I'd suggest is that you get sample packs of different wicks so that you can test them in different fo's. It's probably the most economical way to begin your testing. Be sure when your looking at wicks to keep in mind the size of container that you're using so you get the right sizes. I always get a few smaller and then a few larger then what they suggest for a particular sized container because it varies quite a bit depending on the type of wax you use. Hope all goes well for you and don't be shy about asking more questions, we're all here to help when ever we can.

You're very welcome. FYI...when you're using a soy blend, you can run into the problem of certain scents not throwing well in it or at all for that matter. It's just the nature of that particular type of wax. Since it's a blend, you've got a better chance but I've used Joy Wax and still do on occassion, which is mostly soy and there are just certain scents that refuse to throw in it. Before you get too frustrated, I'd try a few different scents in this wax so you can at least rule out that particular issue. Good luck!

I used a soy blend wax, and the lesson I have learned is that you have to make sure that you let the candles cure for several days to get a good hot throw on several FO's. There are a few stronger heavier scents that only need a few days, but over all I have found that if you let them cure for 4-7 days, and then do a test burn you may see a difference. Also, you may want to try HTP wicks for the soy. These are just some suggestions from what I have learned so far... HTH :)