which soy wax

I am confused about soy waxes. I have read that you can pour at the slushy stage. Now is this for a certain soy wax or all of them? I want to order some soy but am not sure which to order. I want to make container candles. I have used Cargile C3 before but read that some of the new batches people have been getting bubbles with. I am rather new to all of this since I do it on and off and since my hives have finally banished I am starting all over again. Thanks for everyones input it really helps us not so experienced candle makers.:confused:

Any soy wax can be poured slushy or hot and it will still harden and be burnable. The reasons that different soy wax blends are poured at different temps is to enhance their appearance (smooth tops, frosting control) and to blend most effectively with FOs.

NatureWax C3 is no longer manufactured by Cargill; Elevance does it now. It has a wide range of recommended pouring temps (120°F - 165°F). Many folks pour it slushy. I pour mine at 165°F because this seems to be the magic number for my wax blend (I use USA and UV additives) that gives me the best tops, the least frosting & the best FO binding. Others may have different experiences.

Some people reported problems with C3 after Elevance took over from Cargill. Haven't read any recent complaints, however. I lucked out and did not purchase any from the batches that people were complaining about. We have had problems with C3 having a spongey surface (others may interpret this as bubbles) when:

1) it was not properly tempered,

2) when we poured it at a temp other than 165°F, and/or

3) when we covered the cooling candles a little too tightly and concentrated the heat on the top of the candles. When we do everything by the procedure that works best for us, we don't have any problems, but sometimes, we don't follow our own instructions and that's when the brown stuff hits the fan. :embarasse I've honestly never had a problem with C3 that I could blame on the manufacturer. :undecided It's always been something that we did that screwed things up. Again, others may have had different experiences. :)

HTH and that you do not have any more problems with hives. :)

• 1 month later...