Need help cleaning silicone candle molds.

Hi all,

I recently purchased a bunch of silicone and/or urethane molds from ebay and ALL of them feel gritty and dusty. Does anyone have suggestions for cleaning these molds, inside and out, that have previously been used to make candles? Can they be put into a dishwasher and/or hot soapy water for cleaning? I keep reading conflicting info on the subject of putting into water vs wiping clean but this stuff will NOT just wipe off with a damp cloth.

Thanks in advance!

They should be fine to wash at a minimum with very hot water and dish soap. I've used various kinds of silicone/urethane molds and all have been fine being washed in the kitchen sink using super hot water and Dawn dish soap. HTH!

Hot soapy water is fine. I've never tried the dishwasher. You'll want to make sure they're dry completely before you pour into them. I dry as much as possible with paper towel then let them sit at least overnight. Cavity side down of course, and at a slight angle just in case!

Now you have me worried though because I just bought a few molds last night from a new (to me) person on eBay. I'd love to know who you got yours from. You can PM me if you don't want to post it.

I miss Creative Gems. :( I loved all the molds I got from her!

Thank you both oh so much!! I was a bit worried about using soap & water. These things are SO expensive I hated to attempt it...even with a small, less expensive one, without consullting someone more knowledgeable. I've been using these type molds for years but I ALWAYS thoroughly wipe mine out after each use then place them in plastic bags, or saran wrap, so I've never had this problem before.

Jen, as far as the ebay seller...I'm sure that you have nothing to worry about with your own recently purchased molds. To clarify the sale terms a bit more, and to be completely fair to the seller who sold me the molds, I must say that she DID clearly tell me that these were "used and in need of a good cleaning". These were not sold as "new" so I'm *not complaining at all. Just needing some proper cleaning tips.

Thanks again and I'm on my way to the sink as I hit the 'send' button. You've been a huge help!

:)

Mt Annie

Jen, as far as the ebay seller...I'm sure that you have nothing to worry about with your own recently purchased molds. To clarify the sale terms a bit more, and to be completely fair to the seller who sold me the molds, I must say that she DID clearly tell me that these were "used and in need of a good cleaning". These were not sold as "new" so I'm *not complaining at all. Just needing some proper cleaning tips.

Great, that makes me feel a LOT better!! Happy cleaning! :)