Seizing Soap

cdesousa5

Hi all....

I was making a new recipe with a lye concentration of 35. But I thought to measure the FO by weight not by the oz shot glass and it came to about 4.5+ instead to the 3.5 that it called for.

Anyway I had taken some of the batter out to do a swirl but this stuff just started to set as soon as I added the FO so I quick poured into the mold then tried to smooth the top to no avail.

I still had the color part set aside so I stuck the SB inside And as soon as the FO hit that it began to set up too so I just poured it on top of the other stuff in the mold and stuck it in the oven.

I am wondering if it will still make soap or if all is lost?

I took it out and tested it with Phenolphthalein but it is showing lye , should I let it sit and cure ? Could it be that it will get better or not?

Some FOs will definitely accelerate trace but if you got the lye all mixed in, you should be O.K. If not, you can always do a rebatch. Give it some time before you decide if the lye did not get mixed in well and it is lye heavy.

To help when soaping fast moving FOs, you can:

use full water

soap as cool as possible

add the fo to the oils before adding the lye.

Or you can HP a difficult FO.

I did soaped at room temp and I put the FO in at light trace but wow it just set up. I will never do a water discount with this FO again, but to save the trouble I think in the future I'll just HP with it.

My concern was if it gelled and the test was positive for lye, but I'm going to give it a 3 week cure and check again, if it's still positive I'm chucking it.