Question for Prairieannie

Alajane

I'm trying adding canned goat's milk for the first time tonight. I remember reading that I can freeze the remainder of the can in ice cube trays for future use. When I'm ready to use a few cubes, do I have to thaw it first or can I just melt it into the melted soap?

Can't wait to cut and test tonight's batch. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jane

Thanks--I was hoping I could do it that way because I doubt that I would think of it enough in advance for it to thaw!!

I couldn't wait to cut and use a bar this morning and it felt absolutely fantastic with wonderful lather! I've loved SFIC's goat's milk soap, but this was the first time I've added my own goat's milk to plain base and it's even better.

I'm so excited about using this milk. I would have preferred getting the powdered form and not having to bother with freezing, but couldn't find it and now I wonder if it would work as well.

Thanks again for your replies.

Jane

Thanks--I was hoping I could do it that way because I doubt that I would think of it enough in advance for it to thaw!!

I couldn't wait to cut and use a bar this morning and it felt absolutely fantastic with wonderful lather! I've loved SFIC's goat's milk soap, but this was the first time I've added my own goat's milk to plain base and it's even better.

I'm so excited about using this milk. I would have preferred getting the powdered form and not having to bother with freezing, but couldn't find it and now I wonder if it would work as well.

Thanks again for your replies.

Jane

I never seen powdered goat milk locally, but I did use buttermilk powder kind and it clumped up on me. LOL so I tossed that idea. Stayed with my goat milk in can, free it in ice tray and use it when needed.

makes my life easier.

Meg

I was probably saved from myself because I couldn't find the powder!! I think I've read that some people found it at health food stores, but since they had the canned at Wal-Mart and I have plenty of freezer space, I may as well stick with this.

One more question--I need to pour about 36 pounds in the next few weeks and only have molds to pour 3 pounds per night, so I wondered if I would be better off to just refrigerate the canned milk for a couple of weeks instead of freezing it. Do any of you know the refrigerator life of canned milk?

One more time--thanks,

Jane

Hi Alajane~

I honestly can't tell you the life of canned goat milk for refrigeration. Does it say anything on the can you got about what to do with it after opening? I would guess that it would be good for a few days for sure, but pour it into something other than the can of course.

Edited to add: If you can't find any good information about refrigerating it, I'd just freeze it still to be on the safe side. It's just so easy to toss the cubes in, and you'll be sure that it's still good milk.

As for powdered use, you definitely have to shake the crap out of it and work it well to get the lumps out before using it. I use a gravy shaker and it works very well, and then I stir the soap with a wire whisk as well just to be sure. I don't often have to use powdered, but I keep it on hand always just in case I run out of fresh.

For using frozen gm cubes.. yep, you can definitely toss them in frozen! Isn't that a great way to store it? Makes it so easy for future use, I just love it!

I'm telling you gals, Goat's milk is the absolute BEST MP soap making secret there is! Don't be afraid to use TONS of it in your soap. I'm not kidding! Use more than you think you should! Your skin will love it, and so will your customers~ there's nothing better in the world for creamier lather and a rich moisturizing bar of soap!

I just made MP Shea base soap this past weekend. I have a friend that has a daughter that lives in a commune. They raise goats and milk them. I put some in the soap. Question is - this is unpasturized milk. Thick and creamy. Is the soap okay? It did make a wonderflul, creamy bar of soap. Used approximately 4 T. per pound.

PA, thanks for your reply--I'll probably keep freezing it "just in case"--sometimes I don't get to a project as soon as I intend to (need a new round tuit)!!

I'm a little concerned that adding too much milk could cause the bars to be softer/"tackier"? I need to make 350 small bars for a wedding and live in humid Alabama, so I don't want to take a change on them being sticky. To get this many done and wrapped before June, I've already started making and cutting the logs. (I have a full-time job and also a craft show and fundraiser both coming up in May, so I'm trying to get a little bit ahead.)

Anyway, I only put 2 T goat's milk per pound base due to this concern, but for my own use and future testing, I'm going to try some with 4 T/lb--that should be out of this world creamy!!

Thanks,

Jane

Well, I finally found some canned goat's milk locally and now I have a question. Since this seems to be the thread that the m&p queen is frequenting I figured I'd ask here. LOL

Do I just add the GM directly out of the can or do you mix it according to the directions on the can first? I have the concentrated stuff.

TIA

Well, I finally found some canned goat's milk locally and now I have a question. Since this seems to be the thread that the m&p queen is frequenting I figured I'd ask here. LOL

Do I just add the GM directly out of the can or do you mix it according to the directions on the can first? I have the concentrated stuff.

TIA

Straight out of the can baby!! LOL! :cheesy2:

I never dilute it when it comes in the can.. and when I use powdered gm, I only add half as much water or even less than the can asks for.

PA, thanks for your reply--I'll probably keep freezing it "just in case"--sometimes I don't get to a project as soon as I intend to (need a new round tuit)!!

I'm a little concerned that adding too much milk could cause the bars to be softer/"tackier"? I need to make 350 small bars for a wedding and live in humid Alabama, so I don't want to take a change on them being sticky. To get this many done and wrapped before June, I've already started making and cutting the logs. (I have a full-time job and also a craft show and fundraiser both coming up in May, so I'm trying to get a little bit ahead.)

Anyway, I only put 2 T goat's milk per pound base due to this concern, but for my own use and future testing, I'm going to try some with 4 T/lb--that should be out of this world creamy!!

Thanks,

Jane

I'd do the 4T pp anytime.. or more. BUT, it's not super humid here either, so I don't have that issue to contend with. I wish I could give you advice from a more humid climate! We do have our humid days here, but mostly it's on the dryer side.

I just made MP Shea base soap this past weekend. I have a friend that has a daughter that lives in a commune. They raise goats and milk them. I put some in the soap. Question is - this is unpasturized milk. Thick and creamy. Is the soap okay? It did make a wonderflul, creamy bar of soap. Used approximately 4 T. per pound.

That's what I use Judette! Milk straight out of the goat! That's my main preference when I can get it, and I almost always have access to it these days! Isn't it awesome?!