1st Soy pour. Bubbles and Mottle surface.

Hi all,

Well we've been having a blast with making candles! So we decided to try some soy and see how that works. Picked up some GB 464 and used a ECO 10 wick for a 3" tin (all based on the Candlescience wick guide).

We mixed 1/2 oz of FO to 16 oz wax @ 180 degrees and then poured them at 135 degrees.

They settled really nice and so I did a test burn today and realized the wick is probably too big (had full MP @ 2 hours and about 1/4" deep). When it cooled off I noticed the surface was really rough/mottled and it looked like a couple of air bubbles somehow surfaced and formed. Looks pretty ugly compared to my paraffin tests.

Any ideas/thoughts?

~Allen

Soy and paraffin are apples and oranges! Two completely different waxes and results. Paraffin is the easiest to work with. You can predict the results ... the only variation may be wavy tops. Zinc wicks are standard. And you always pour hot.

Soy has so many variables. Pouring temps (cooler - sometimes down to slush), different wick manufacturers with varying sizes, the affect of different FO's, a longer cure time then you would see with paraffin.

It's extremely rare to get it "right" on the first try. And 1/2oz per pound is really a small percentage. In most of my testing a full ounce per pound is needed. Soy doesn't throw as easily as paraffin.

HTH