Crystal Palm Pillar Advice, Please

I poured a Crystal Palm Pillar a few months ago that came out beautifully. I did have some trouble getting it out of the mold (you all helped me with that!), but it burned wonderfully. I have since lost my notes (I cannot believe I did that!!!), so I am trying to recreate it from memory.

I decided to add some palm pressed stearic this time - hoping it would help with the mold release - but it was still difficult to remove. I do not warm the mold (and it is cool where I pour), but I do wrap the mold in bubble wrap and cover with a box so it will cool slowly.

When it finally came out of the mold, it had a very definite line where I did my second pour...almost like it seeped down rather than just sat on top of the first pour. On my first pillar, there was a very thin line around the bottom - that is ok with me - but this one is actually a jagged, smooth area - just doesn't look right to me.

When I did my second pour on this candle, I waited until the candle had formed a "skin", then poked approx 6 relief holes. I then waited approx an hour and a half, and did the second pour.

I cannot for the life of me remember how long I waited to do the second pour the first time, but the end result was much better than this time.

Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated!!

Jane

Jane, there is another post about second pouring palm wax & relief holes that contains references to your questions.

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81760

When you second pour in the mold, because palm pulls away from the sides so easily, it nearly always runs down the sides and tightens up the candle to the point it is hard to remove. The way I second pour pillars, one does not need to pour beyond the boundaries of the first pour. A good second pour should be invisible because it goes just up to the very edge of the first pour line, but never over. With container palm candles, this is a little more difficult, but certainly achievable - just takes a steady hand.

Good luck! :)

Stella,

THANK YOU so much for your post. As always, you are a wealth of information!

That certainly explains why I have the smooth "dribble" line around the bottom of the pillar.

I will check out the thread you referenced. I did several searches last week, but I know I didn't use the word "relief" in the search - that may help me quite a bit!

I am test burning it now. I usually use LX wicks, but I only had up to an LX 20 and I was so anxious when I wanted to test the first pillar, I picked up Yaley wicks at Michaels. Since that worked the first time (yeah, I know....what would I do if it worked....lol - I would have no clue what to order in an LX...:laugh2: ) I used it for this test also. Unfortunately, (or fortunately), it is tunneling this time - probably due to the stearic - so I should order some higher LX wicks and test those.

I hope I am able to master these pillars because I just think this is the most beautiful wax - the pillar is gorgeous and smells wonderful!

Jane

Unfortunately, (or fortunately), it is tunneling this time - probably due to the stearic - so I should order some higher LX wicks and test those

Remember that palm wax doesn't burn even remotely like paraffin (except they both have a flame). It is normal for palm wax to tunnel - it burns down, then out. I wick my palm wax pillars to leave a 1/4" shell which can then be further enjoyed with an electric tea light, etc. ;)

Do you have any photos of the test burns, perchance? :)

Remember that palm wax doesn't burn even remotely like paraffin (except they both have a flame). It is normal for palm wax to tunnel - it burns down, then out. I wick my palm wax pillars to leave a 1/4" shell which can then be further enjoyed with an electric tea light, etc. ;)

Do you have any photos of the test burns, perchance? :)

Hi, Stella!

I did see on your other post that the palm would work it's way out as it went down, so I continued to test and it had. I didn't realize that the melt pool had gone further out until I "rubbed" the inside edges. (does that make sense??) The flame is very small, but I think I "nipped" too much off before the last burn.

It has burned 17 hours with a 1/2" shell all around - about 1/3 burned at this point.

I love the idea of using the tealight!

I will try to get a picture to post, but that would require me tracking my son down! lol

Thanks so much for all of your advice. I have printed out everything I could find on my last search. I still want to try to figure out what LX wick I could use in place of the Yaley, though. I have seen an LX24 & LX26 suggested so far.

If I test a taller pillar, would I use whatever works for this pillar, or would it require a higher wick? I have had someone offer to sell me some LX30's for testing, but not sure that I would ever need that.

If I test a taller pillar, would I use whatever works for this pillar, or would it require a higher wick?

Taller doesn't necessarily require a larger wick. It sounds like you might need to go up one - you just have to play with the sizes, which is why it pays to have a decent assortment from which to choose when testing. I use CDNs exclusively for palm pillars, so I have no idea of what sizes of other wicks to suggest. CDs would also be a good choice. Lotsa folks use square braid, CSNs and LXs, so you really do have many different kinds from which to choose. Good luck & have fun! :yay:

Taller doesn't necessarily require a larger wick. It sounds like you might need to go up one - you just have to play with the sizes, which is why it pays to have a decent assortment from which to choose when testing. I use CDNs exclusively for palm pillars, so I have no idea of what sizes of other wicks to suggest. CDs would also be a good choice. Lotsa folks use square braid, CSNs and LXs, so you really do have many different kinds from which to choose. Good luck & have fun! :yay:

I think I will post in the classies for some CD's to test...maybe a CD14 - and a couple above and below that. I have posted for some LX's.

Ya gotta love the testing!! lol