need help wicking

I am trying my hand at a new scent "Birds of Paradise" I was using 1.5 oz of fo per 17 oz of wax, and thinking of dropping down since i've been reading on here more, so maybe I should scrap this test all together. Either way... I'm still testing just incase i decide to keep going with that amount of fo.

For this candle I used ecosoya 135 and LX wicks. I am down to LX 16 in my 9 oz hex jar (3 inch in diamater). I don't have the next size down, so I will have to order them if I do need to go down. Here is my results so far. I am about 1/4 way done with my test burn. (3rd test) I burned for 3 hours and had a nice mp and 1/2 inch depth also. was really happy with that. However when I grabbed the jar to test the heat, it got hot after holding it for 15 seconds. I like it if I can hold the jar for 30 seconds and have it only be mildly hot. Am I being too picky on my heat tests or am I being good and do need to wick down some more. :confused:

Also note... that the hot spot is where the melted wax is... not the whole jar.

Glass is a great heat conductor, I expect a glass jar to get hot as a candle is burning, thus the reason for the nifty warning of not moving a jar with molten wax in it or moving while burning. If your jar is not getting hot, again, I expect glass, tins etc. all to get hot (you have hot wax AND a flame in it) your wicks may be too small. Some degree of heat is normal. I look for and tell others to look at the melt pool. Ideally you never want the depth of the melted wax to exceed 1/2" after an extended full burn. I don't mean a power burn of 8-10 hours, but a normal 4 hour burn cycle. If your melted wax does not get to a certain point heat wise your throw will be minimal. You don't want the glass so hot that you burn yourself standing next to it (yes, that was exaggeration!) though because too hot and the glass can shatter. It's a pretty fine line between just right and too hot.

Glass is a great heat conductor

I disagree. That's why we use glass for containers. It does conduct heat, but not nearly to the extent as does metal.

I am about 1/4 way done with my test burn. (3rd test) I burned for 3 hours and had a nice mp and 1/2 inch depth...

If your candle is only burned 1/4" down and you cannot handle the jar, for me, that's too hot. It doesn't matter what I am willing to live with as far as heat is concerned - it's what I am comfortable selling to the general public. I err on the side of safety. If YOU are uncomfortable with the heat of a candle, common sense tells you to try wicking down. If wicking down reduces the heat to the point the HT is affected, try a different wick type.