Bakery melts using soy pillar wax?

Hi,

My husband and I have been looking around at some of the candles being made in the US and I must say Australia is so dead dull boring when it comes to candles ! lol!

You guys just have so many interesting and imaginative molds over there!

We absolutely adore all the "bakery" type candle melts that you have - cute little cinnamon buns etc, and were wondering if it's possible to make these using the soy pillar wax?

I think what's generally being used to make these, and all the "grubby/primitive type candles is paraffin wax?

Has anyone made them using the soy?

We're only looking at the melts at this point, and are hesitant to order some molds from the US (Quite expensive to buy and ship across) until we have some idea of whether or not this will work well using soy.

We'd like to try and keep all our candles either palm wax or soy wax, but I keep seeing all these wonderful things you can do with paraffin, so I'm in a bit of a dilemma really. :)

Anyway, would love to hear from anyone who has experimented using the soy pillar blend to make anything bakery or primitive like?

Thanks!

Tracy

For a lot of them soy pillar should not be an issue. The only problems I have encountered with soy pillar waxes as a whole is they tend to be more brittle than a paraffin which is relatively flexible. If your molds are not extremely detailed it should work out fine. Details tend to crack off using the soy pillar blends :( You "could" also blend the soy pillar with palm and that may also work out leaving a more matte finish :)

Thanks!

We have been experimenting at home here with a couple of rubber molds - really meant for ice, but they were in the shape of little fruits which we thought would be cute for melts.

Unfortunately with the palm wax ( we don't have any soy pillar wax as yet!) and with the molds being rubber we found the wax tends to stick and is hard to get out. It's left a residue of wax too and will be quite difficult to clean, considering we can't just put them in the oven to melt it out!

These molds from the US we're looking at are silicone. My husband is guessing they will be different/easier to use, since they are meant for candles.

Ideally we'd like to get metal molds but I haven't seen any in the tiny fruit shapes?

Oh my goodness......we're spending so much money as it is...This is really becoming quite an addiction, lol!

At the very least, we'll have tonnes of "goodies" for friends and family for Christmas and birthdays I suppose!

Tracy

If you are having problems with them sticking try a few things. First it could be that your pouring temps are too low. Silicone is very sturdy and should withstand anything you'd pour into them within a normal candle making temp range.

Second, you could try spraying the molds with either a silicone spray (usually found at here in the US easily in automotive stores) or non stick cooking spray before pouring. This should help a lot!

:)

We tried a non stick cooking spray with these ice molds we have here but it was still not completely slipping free of the molds. I mean, they come OUT, but leave a very thin layer of palm wax behind.

I'm wondering whether, because they are meant for ice, that the material used to make these molds is slightly different from the silicone ones that are made FOR candles.

Perhaps the ones we've got are not completely smooth or something since it wouldn't really matter with ice?

Then again, maybe using the soy pillar wax would work better than the palm anyway.

I guess we'll just have to buy some soy pillar wax and try that. :)

Hi Flicker

Tracy's other half here. The molds we currently have available at home to use are just really cheap rubber ice cube trays from the dollar store. We only picked them up as they looked pretty cute and wanted to see if they would work or not.

I did actually try some non stick spray in them last night and they were still very difficult to remove from the molds. This was also using feather palm wax as it is all we have left right at the moment.

The reason for asking the original question was so that we could guage some idea of the success of this before purchasing the molds, as the only place we can get these molds are from the US. There is absolutely nothing available here in AUstralia anything like you guys have over there, which would make what we are doing here quite unique.

Cheers

Richard

I know when I do palm wax tarts, in silicone molds, and ice cube molds (also silicone) they have to sit for awhile before you can even attempt getting them out even with my ecosoya pb, or else they will leave some behind or crack. I am using CS's Starburst palm wax ( pillar) So I normally just leave them for a awhile.

Also you can try putting them in the freezer for a bit, and than try to get them out of the mold.

Good luck, its an addicting hobby!

Jessica

Hi Jessica

We did try leaving them sit for a while, and also tried the freezer. I think the problem is that they are only very cheap rubber molds from the dollar store, rather than silicon. I did notice after getting them out that that are very smooth on one half and not smooth on the other half. This is what makes me think it is the rubber causing the problem as that is the part of the mold that is causing the issues. The part of the mold that is hard plastic seems to release quite easily and is very very smooth.

Its so frustrating here right now as it is a holiday weekend and no shops are open in this backwards city we live in, so we have to wait another day before we can get some different molds to try.....

Cheers

Richard