Why on earth...?

SixThreeFive

I found a shampoo bar recipe that uses 16oz of water. When putting the recipe through soap calc, I had to up the water % to about 60% to reach 16oz.

Why on earth would someone use 60% water in their soap? :confused: Do they like curing for ages and ages?

I usually do 25%, to shorten the curing time some. (Nowadays) I do put my recipes through both Soap Calc and MMS Lye Calc, to make sure it doesn't get too lye heavy.

It's 1.88 and Lye concentration is 34%.

I have used 50% water before, myself, and 38%, but... I dunno. Talked to a Swedish soaper who's been selling her products for some 20 years, and she said she uses the lowest water amount according to MMS Lye Calc.

When I checked what water % that'd be in soap calc, it was 25%. So that's what I've been using.

I found a shampoo bar recipe that uses 16oz of water. When putting the recipe through soap calc, I had to up the water % to about 60% to reach 16oz.

Why on earth would someone use 60% water in their soap? :confused: Do they like curing for ages and ages?

I usually do 25%, to shorten the curing time some. (Nowadays) I do put my recipes through both Soap Calc and MMS Lye Calc, to make sure it doesn't get too lye heavy.

Maybe it's a misprint......the only time I use a mega amount of water is when I'm mixing a batch of my no shred laundry soap.....and I want that soft and squishy.