Citi Bank CC's may have been Compromised/hacked

islandgirl

I get my CC balance emailed to me daily.. this is what I got instead today....

Important Security Message

This is to inform you that your account may be at risk for unauthorized use. To ensure that it remains protected, we have:Restricted Account Online access for this account number.Issued a new Citi Card to you. When you receive your new card, please take the following steps immediately:

1.Activate it as instructed on the sticker on the front of the card.

2.Inform authorized users of this situation.

3.Notify recurring billing merchants of the new account number.

4.Register your new account number with Account Online for full access again.

In the meantime, to make payments online, change account information or use the Secure Message feature, call Customer Service at 1-800-423-4343.

I called them and they said new cards are being sent out today.

That a breech with a merchant has been hacked or compromised.

Anyone with Citi bank accounts, check your cards online ASAP!!

Wondering if any of you have had a similar issue??

I don't have anything like that with my Citi card, it seems to be a processor and not Citi itself, so it could be ANY Visa or Mastercard. Though caution the cards you get other banks like to send you cards at this time thinking you'll activate it. Scammers also like to send out emails soon after the breach is notified that you need to go HERE, to activate or re-activate your account. Unless you find Citi's number and call it yourself, don't call any numbers you recieve by email now.

It seems the breach lies with Heartland Payment Systems Processing.

"Heartland called U.S. Secret Service and hired two breach forensics teams to investigate. But Baldwin said it wasn't until last week that investigators uncovered the source of the breach: A piece of malicious software planted on the company's payment processing network that recorded payment card data as it was being sent for processing to Heartland by thousands of the company's retail clients."

Here is the full story...

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2009/01/payment_processor_breach_may_b.html?wprss=securityfix

How ironic that today I get an email from Citibank advertising "Citi Identity Monitor" for the low introductory price of $8.95 for 30 days and then $12.95 each month thereafter. It's supposed to alert you to potential fraud on your account by detecting certain changes in activity.

It's a damn shame that they have to extort money out of you to do what they ought to be doing for free anyway.

My Visa card company sent me a letter today saying the same thing... but I already knew about it because I tried to use that Visa card to purchase an airline ticket two days ago. The card was declined, and I couldn't figure out why. I called them yesterday as soon as they opened and they told me basically the same thing.. the bank that my card is through "hot carded" every card holder and sent out a letter that day.

When I called the agency back she told me that she had already had 6 calls that morning with the same story... so yeah, it's a very widespread breach.

The thing that got me was my banks letter today said that they think the problem occurred between May 2008 and November 2008. And they are just now realizing it!!

Ok, can anybody tell my why Obama can get a super secure Blackberry in the blink of an eye, yet credit card companies and processors are helpless when it comes to hackers compromising their systems?

My guess is the same reason Wall Street can get money in 2 days without restrictions while it takes almost 2 years for consumer protection from shady lending practices... :sad2: They're Democrats. :D