Crocheted Baby Blanket w/ Baby Flannel

Toni S.

Oh I sure hope someone can help me. I crocheted a baby blanket for my future Great Grandson and I want to attach a flannel backing to it for extra warmth for the winter but I don't have the slightest idea how to do this? I think sewing it on would look dumb but then again I'm not a sewing Queen. If I wanted to crochet the two materials together, how in the world would I do that? I tried to find info off the internet but didn't have any luck. Pleeeeeeeeeze help!!

OK, this is purely a guess but I would do it this way if it was me. If you want to crochet them together I would turn under the edge of the flannel and try to punch holes with a paper punch or large darning needle through both layers of fabric. Then use those holes to crochet the two blanket sides together with a single crochet stitch. Hope this makes sense.:smiley2:

Glo

Hey Glo,

I thought about that but wasn't sure if the flannel would pull apart once I punched holes in it. How far apart do you think they should be? Would I need to turn the fabric under so I wouldn't have the cut edge but then it would be twice as thick to punch a hole through? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, told ya I don't know what I'm doing!!

Thanks for the tip

I don't think it would pull apart as long as it is turned under about an inch or so(that way your hole will be sure to be through both layers, if you miss the second layer I would think it might fray with washing). If you don't turn the edge under it will absolutely fray apart. I would probably try holes about every 1/2 inch (closer would be nice but I think that would be too difficult).

Glo

You can do a buttonhole stitch to join them along the edges, it would mean you don't have to punch holes, and would look similar to crochet. All you'd need is your yarn and a biggish needle.

I personally wouldn't sew them together, but would likely make 2 separate blankets. If you just sew them on the edge, the whole centre section could pull apart during washing and mess up the shape of the blanket. If you do decide to go along with a lined blanket, make sure you do a few joins in the middle of the blanket as well, along the lines of a tied quilt.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what a great idea (the tool, I mean)! Toni, I did this (28 years ago!!) when expecting my son. I used a combo if ideas suggested here.

The afghan I had made was in squares, each square with an animal cross-stitched on it, so I laid the afghan on top of the flannel and attached a satin ribbon bow through both layers at each square corner to keep the lining from getting bunched up or separating (like doris said). Then I used a darning needle and did a hemming stitch (nearly invisible), joinging the flannel lining to the crocheted afghan. It turned out absolutely beautiful! Probably the hand-made item I was most proud of having done.

Would have loved to have that "edgery-do" though!

Thank You Alajane!

I have the flannel pinned to the afghan and all I need to do is attach it once I decide which technique I'll be using. Maybe I'll just go that route and using the darning needle w/ the hemming stitch?? I think I'll be able to manage that, hopefully?