Using "Co." in business name

kate

I know there have been discussions about this before, but for some reason when I do a search none of them are coming up.

I know I've read that you can't use the word "company" in your name if you're not an actual company just a sole proprietorship, but can someone point me in the direction of some documentation about this?

Also, does it differ from state to state? I'm in Pennsylvania.

Thanks for the help!

Kate

That most definately differs from state to state...I am in VA and my business name is North Mountain Candle Co. and I am a sole proprietorship. I am registered with my county and state and completely legal. I hadn't seen the previous convos so I can't help you there. My advice, contact your county commissioner of revenue's office or whoever issues the business licenses in your county and ask them. Good luck!

Thanks for the input. I've been looking around the Pennsylvania govt. web site, but I can't find anywhere that says I can't use it. I keep finding things that tell me if I do incorporate, I have to use co. or inc.

I was hoping someone had something bookmarked that would tell me for sure. I'll have to call and ask someone about it on Monday.

Kate

EDITED to add: Doh! I just found the following at a page I had bookmarked a long time ago ...

"To register an assumed or fictitious business name, form DSCB: 54-311 must be filed. This application must contain the following information:

• The fictitious name. It does not have to contain a corporate designator such as "corporation," or "limited". It may contain a corporate designator if the owner is a corporation. The use of the word "company" or "co." in a fictitious name by a sole proprietorship or a corporation is permissible."

That info came from http://www.dos.state.pa.us/corps/cwp/view.asp?a=1093&q=431168 and applies to Pennsylvania businesses.