I'm looking to create a line for my salon and I need help.

Hey everyone, my name is Tinna and I want to offer handmade body butters and sugar scrubs in my nail salon to retail. I have made some body butter and a scrub before but it was for personal use. I made my original batch about 6 months ago but it was just too strong. Reading later I found out that I waaaaay to much FO for my 8 oz of shea butter base, about 2 oz!

So basically what I need to know is how to go about researching basic recipes that will keep their shelf life and good suppliers. Thanks for your help.

I always go by percentage when scenting anything, even candles. I use 1.5% FO in my sugar scrub recipe and it's a nice scent load. Depending on the scent I will even go lower than that. As for lotions and butters, I also start out at a very low percentage and add more if it needs. Again it depends on the fragrance as some are much stronger than others.

There are a ton of companies out there that offer bath and body recipes and ideas. Also at the top of the b and b section , check out the infor and tutorials.

Also go to the Fragrance section, there is a list of suppiers there you can just click on and poke around on, you might find calulators and that kind of stuff.

Snowdrift Farms is a good starting site.

Hope this is helpful, learning to do percentages is a very good way to approach it at this point.

Also look in the co-op section once you get situated for co-ops on oils and butters, some of them are awesome for buying a bunch of different oils in smaller amounts.

Thanks for all the advice and I have made some notes. The one thing I think I did wrong is I did not formulate my percentages correctly and I still don't think I have that concept down yet. Most of the recipes that I tried before did it by cups and tablespoons but the newer materials I have read lately are going by total weight.:laugh2: But I have time and I will continue to read and when I think I've got it right I will start playing around a bit more. Do any of you know where I can find information for the novice comparable to like computers for dummies? Is there like body butter making for idiots?

You are right...this board can be a wealth of knowledge...but be careful...B&B is VERY adicting!

I do wholesale to several Nail Salons amd Spas in my area. If you make a good product that you believe in and sell your belief to your customers you will be a successful woman!

Good Luck!