Need help on the process used to age tin cans for candles?

Not sure if this is in the corrrect section or not?I use pure soy in my candlemaking and have seen the tin cans at BCN..My question is what is the process used to make the tins look old &aged?I have already tried the process mentioned on BCN website but all I got in the end were some very hot tin cans that still looked the same..Anyone know?I am wanting a drab brown primitive look..Any help would be greatly appreciated..Thanks! Karen~

:wave: Hi Karen,

What sort of tins cans did you use, what temp. did you have the oven set to and how long did you leave them in the oven? My guess is you didn't have the heat high enough nor did you leave them in long enough!

What I do is this:

Take all the tins you want to antique and place them in a cold oven but before you do that, remove the lids and just lay them on the tops of the tins at a very slight angle so they closed on the tins. If you leave them closed, during the antiquing process they almost seal themselves onto the bottom portion of the containers and be a real bugger to get off, :angry2: (I know this from experience). Turn your oven on 500* and wait for the tins to turn as light or as dark as you want them. During this process, don't be alarmed when you see smoke coming out of your oven because that's part of the process. The smell will be awful and if you have a counter fan, exhaust fan above your stove that will help! It's best to open your kitchen window and have the fans blowing toward the window to push out the smoke. It doesn't take long, actually never timed it. All I do is have my stove light on and I also keep peaking at the tins to see what color they are. When they're done, I turn off the oven and pull the rack out as far as possible to let the oven cool and the tins enough to take them out of the oven.

That's it!! The length of time you leave them in the oven will also be determined by the amount of tins you put in the oven too. When I do this process I pack the whole oven up at one time and antique as many as possible then I got them done. If I need to make more, I definitely wait until the oven has cooled off enough so I can repack with more tins.

You can see my tins on my website at:

www.botanicalswaxandbubbles.com click on the "Wickless" button. I do make mine more on the darker side, I like that the best!

Hope I've been of help to you and if you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Have a great day,

Toni

Hello,I used the tin cans from Bittercreek...Maybe I didn't leave them in the oven long enough when I tried it..I am very thankful for your information..I will try this once again and see what happens..I do remember a terrible smell though..Will definately use fans and open the windows!!Thanks so much! Karen~

I'm very interested in this too but...DANG! Smoking and choking in your kitchen for 4-5 hours? Are the results really worth it? It sounds like a horrible experince. My smoke alarms would go into overdrive....not to mention hubby...the kids and our dog's reaction.

Wouldn't it be easier just to build a big bonfire outside and throw in your tins?

:grin2:

Mt Annie