Another GM's question

izzy2

When using GM this replaces the water in the recipe, correct? So would I add the lye to the gm and then when at correct temp add to the oils etc.?

Sorry I should add that the recipe I'm wanting to use is Shortening & Shea Sudsy Recipe. Also would you recommend a newbie doing 4.5 % superfat as the poster did or go with normal?

Yes, the goat milk replaces the water. You want to soap COLD--I freeze the gm, then break it up and SLOWLY add lye to the chips of gm. I get the best results if I put the container of gm (that I'm adding lye to) in the sink and surround it with ice. If the gm is room temp, it will burn and turn your soap all sorts of brown and orange. Remember to add the lye slowly--bits at a time--sometimes it takes me 15 minutes to add the lye. A lot of people use gm powder and add it later--I've never done that, but have never had a problem getting a white bar if I just keep the gm cold.

I'm never fussy about the oil temp. I just melt it slowly till it's all liquid and add the lye/milk solution as soon as I've mixed it.

I'll let others comment about superfatting...

Your gm does not necessarily have to replace the water. You can use a combo of both too. For instance, if your recipe calls for 20 oz of liquid, you could soap with that full 20 oz as gm or just a portion. You could use half (10 oz) as water which you add your lye too, and then add the other 10 oz as gm at trace.

You can do a 4.5% superfat or you could leave it at the 5% default and will more than likely be O.K. (your lather should be O.K.) If you are soaping with raw gm, then I'd recommend for sure that you adjust the SF down.