What the deal with beer

thecandlespastore

Ok, so I am attempting my first batches of beer soap this week, just waiting for my beer to get super flat. So tell me, what does beer bring to the table in cp soap? I am guessing its the yeast, but of course I could be wrong. And for anyone who has made soap with beer or other beverages, please give me some pointers on what I should expect. Making a flaming Russian soap with some Kahlua too in a few days.

I'm sure the sugar brings a lot to the party. I've made a couple batches of men's soap with beer, but mostly for the 'beer factor' on the label. I fragranced with Peppercorn FO and included some poppy seeds. It sold well and I got good feedback.

Just make sure it's very flat and add your lye slowly.

I have no idea what beer does in soap. I do remember a beer shampoo from back in the 70's called, "body on tap". It was supposed to give your hair great body because of the beer in it. http://www.retroland.com/pages/retropedia/fashion/item/3106/

I'd think if you did a shampoo bar for hair with beer, it would be great for limp hair. LOL :)

I remember using body on tap and it really did make your hair very full and soft. Maybe somehow beer softens, so it would make skin soft?

Curiosity killed the cat… but satisfaction brought him back. Your question intrigued me so I had to find out. I called a friend who emailed me the following information.

Nutrient Units 1 bottle (356g)

Water g 326.588

Energy Kcal 145.960

Energy Kj 612.320

Protein g 1.068

Lipids, fat g 0.000

Carbohydrate (by difference) g 13.172

Fibers g 0.712

Alcohol g 12.816

Ash g 0.356

Minerals

Calcium (Ca) mg 17.800

Iron (Fe) mg 0.107

Magnesium (Mg) mg 21.360

Phosphorus (P) mg 42.720

Potassium (K) mg 89.000

Sodium (Na) mg 17.800

Zinc (Zn) mg 0.071

Copper (Cu) mg 0.032

Manganese (Mn) mg 0.043

Selenium (Se) mcg 4.272

Vitamins

Vitamin C (total ascorbic acid) mg 0.000

Thiamin (B1) mg 0.021

Riboflavin (B2) mg 0.093

Niacin mg 1.613

Pantothenic acid mg 0.206

Vitamin B6 mg 0.178

Folate mcg 21.360

Vitamin B12 mcg 0.071

Vitamin A (IU) IU 0.000

Vitamin A (RE) mcg RE 0.000

Vitamin E mg ATE 0.000

Lipids - 0.000

Aminoacids (*)

Tryptophan g 0.011

Threonine g 0.018

Isoleucine g 0.018

Leucine g 0.021

Lysine g 0.025

Methionine g 0.004

Cystine g 0.011

Phenylalanine g 0.021

Tyrosine g 0.053

Valine g 0.032

Arginine g 0.032

Histidine g 0.018

Alanine g 0.039

Aspartic acid g 0.043

Glutamic acid g 0.110

Glycine g 0.032

Proline g 0.107

Serine g 0.018

USDA Database for Standard Reference, Release 14 (julho 2001)

I don’t believe any of the B vitamins carry over the skin barrier, anyone know? Looking at the minerals… there’s more than trace levels so it will probably create more scum and less lather than using water. So if I were doing it I would probably increase lathering oils to compensate. My biggest concern would be the iron, which my research indicates DOS uses iron molecules as a nucleolus to form. I think probably the best stuff beer would bring to the party is the amino acids, which although not absorbed across through the skin, would be freely available to damaged surface tissue but in such low levels probabaly isn't significant.

Vitamins Bs from what I too have read don't really absorb through the skin and ones like biotin that's used in a lot of shampoos have to be altered to "fit" into the shampoo formula so much so that it can actually add a toxic demision to the biotin...same thing for folic acid. Kinda like with cocamide DEA.