I finally did it

izzy2

After asking questions and saying (like a year or more ago, :embarasse ) I was going to make some soap I finally did it. I made my first batch of CP soap today using Crafty's beginner recipe.

It's in the mold now what do I do? I peeked a few minutes ago and it's in the gel phase I believe. When it is hardened do I unmold it and cut it (tomorrow sometime....I finished making it at about 3:15 p.m. today)?

What do I need to look for in the soap (as far as testing it etc)? If I am correct once it's hardened I need to do the zap test. Will the strips you use for testing pools/hot tubs work (if I don't want to use the tongue method):wink2:

Anything else I may be missing/forgetting about?

Thanks

Awesome Izzy! I think you've got it covered. I've never used the PH strips and tongue test only if it's questionable. Cut it tomorrow, then leave it alone.

You can test it on your hands after a few days, just keep in mind that it will get milder over time.

Congratulations!

e

I am very insecure and test every batch of soap I make… usually a few times to make sure I didn’t screw up the test, with different types of test strips incase something happened to them and I got a false reading. You don’t have to do that… it gets expensive, LOL. If you decide you want to use test strips make sure they are high range… about 7.5 to 11 should cover it. I use wide range and don’t off hand know the range of the pool test strips. Make a slurry (shave a tiny bit of soap onto a saucer and add about 3x water and dissolve to test or the soap will prevent the ions from penetrating the paper and you will always get a perfect neutral reading. It’s probably not necessary to use test strips… I’m just a bit compulsive. I’m on about my 60th batch of soap and haven’t come up with a lye heavy batch yet… but I doubt I’ll ever stop the compulsive testing.

congratulations izzy:yay: i bet it was exciting!!!! i am making mine tomorrow. finally got my numbers ready and everything. now i just have to actually make it. LOL

you are soooooo right about the help on this board. pricesless

i wish there was some way using materials we have at home to make a ph tester for soap. sigh.