weight of CP for mold

Loretta

I have a mold that I use for M&P which holds 1lb 4 oz and it makes good size bars that are just how I want them.

I have started to make CP soap, still learning and I want to use this mold. How do I work out the amount to make to fit this mold, is the weight of all the ingredients before i start

I can't live without this site

length x width x depth x .40 will calculate how much oils to use

So it is just the weight of the oils and nothing else, not the lye or the liquid? are cocoa butter etc included in the weight of the oils?

I know I am being thick but I am so excited about making CP I don't want to get it wrong

Or you can use the calculator at http://www.summerbeemeadow.com/ which will compensate for the variations in density of different oils though with such a small mold it really won’t make any discernable difference.

I am concerned about making such a small batch, I make a minimum of 32 oz batches for testing new recipes as it is physically impossible to get every bit of oil out of your measuring containers. The larger volume makes it a much smaller percentage.

So it is just the weight of the oils and nothing else, not the lye or the liquid? are cocoa butter etc included in the weight of the oils?

Yes, cocoa butter is part of the oils. Any hard or soft butter or oil is part of the oils, except for fragrance or essential Oils.

Or you can use the calculator at http://www.summerbeemeadow.com/ which will compensate for the variations in density of different oils though with such a small mold it really won’t make any discernable difference.

I am concerned about making such a small batch, I make a minimum of 32 oz batches for testing new recipes as it is physically impossible to get every bit of oil out of your measuring containers. The larger volume makes it a much smaller percentage.

Thank you for that, as you can see I am very much at the beginning of learning, I will make a larger batch and see how I get on.

The problem here in the Uk is that it is very difficult to get any equipment, I am using baking and cake pans. If anyone knows where I can get some of the great soap molds in the UK or someone in the US who would ship them I would be very grateful. I seem to able to get individual and shaped molds now but good big basic molds for big batches seems to be impossible

I haven’t bought a mold for cp yet. I want to but always wind up spending my money on oils and herbs and such! I started out using loaf pans and boxes while I waited for hubby to make me one. I finally realized I’d be waiting forever and made my own. I used 3 inch x ½ inch molding wood (some really nice maple we had left over from having our kitchen expanded last year) and cut 4 17 inch pieces and two 4 inch pieces and assembling them into a loaf mold and top. I don’t think you have to use expensive wood… but you would want nice knot free wood I think. Something fairly smooth.