One more "scale" question re:math

scentsme

I've narrowed it down to 2 scales, but have a question for any math whiz out there: If one scale says it can weigh with an accuracy of: 0.035 oz

and the other scale says it can weight with an acc. of: 0.005 oz what is the major difference between being able to reach those 2 numbers? I'm staring at these & realizing, I'm math challenged!

The first scale with the accurary of 0.035 oz will display weights in that increment. If you have 0.035 oz of stuff in there, that's what it will read. If you have 0.040 oz of stuff in there, it will read 0.035 oz. If you have 0.065 oz of stuff, it will probably read 0.070 oz. There's really no in between and it will depend on the manufacturer for when the scale will go from displaying low to displaying high.

The second scale with 0.005 oz basically has more incremental weights that it will return. For the examples above, each weight would "read true." But if you have 0.022 oz of stuff, the scale would show either 0.020 or 0.025 oz, depending on the calibrations and settings.

Does that make sense? If you're not going to measure really small quantities, like things for less than 0.1 oz, then you're probably fine with the 0.035 oz accuracy scale (which is also probably cheaper?).

Also take into account what the maximum capacity of each scale is. most scales with a really fine resolution (like 0.005 oz) have a pretty low max capacity (probably less than 50 grams - sorry to change units on you).

The first scale with the accurary of 0.035 oz will display weights in that increment. If you have 0.035 oz of stuff in there, that's what it will read. If you have 0.040 oz of stuff in there, it will read 0.035 oz. If you have 0.065 oz of stuff, it will probably read 0.070 oz. There's really no in between and it will depend on the manufacturer for when the scale will go from displaying low to displaying high.

The second scale with 0.005 oz basically has more incremental weights that it will return. For the examples above, each weight would "read true." But if you have 0.022 oz of stuff, the scale would show either 0.020 or 0.025 oz, depending on the calibrations and settings.

Does that make sense? If you're not going to measure really small quantities, like things for less than 0.1 oz, then you're probably fine with the 0.035 oz accuracy scale (which is also probably cheaper?).

Also take into account what the maximum capacity of each scale is. most scales with a really fine resolution (like 0.005 oz) have a pretty low max capacity (probably less than 50 grams - sorry to change units on you).

wow, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is EXACTLY what I needed explained to me!!!! So does that mean that the one they have that's 0.0005 would be even better?

as for when you wrote: (probably less than 50 grams - sorry to change units on you), you made me LWOL (laugh WAY OUT loud!!!!!). Oh, and the 0.005 is surprisingly a little bit cheaper & comes from a company that I've heard great things about. the only problem with it is that it is very small. But, you've been so great. I "get it" now!!!!! thanks again!

The one that weighs to .035 oz weighs to an accuracy of a gram. The other one weighs to an accuracy of a tenth of a gram.

You'd only need .1 gram accuracy if you're doing something like preservatives for small lotion batches.

I'm gram challenged. Heck, I'm metrically challenged. My better scale broke. The back up scale I'm using isn't giving me the readings I need. I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself from the other thread, but I'm just trying to get a reading of let's say: 0.07 oz FO in a 3.5 oz lotion, but don't want to be stuck with a scale that will only read 0.05 oz FO, or jump to 0.10 next(not giving me the 0.07). :shocked2: