Establishing wholesale accounts

ebarnes

Does anyone have a letter that they send to salons, spas, boutiques' etc.... describing thier products trying ot create a wholesale account?Thanks

The only time I have ever sent a letter/email to a potential wholesale account was after they first contacted me. I've had that happen many times as a result of them finding me through the web addy on my product labels. The accounts are always out of town when this happens.

As a general rule, I don't think it's a good idea to send a letter to a potential wholesale account. It can seem intimidating, but I really feel you are better off to set up an appointment with the buyer for the target store, and take a sample of your product with you. Give them the sample, talk about your products, give them a price/scent/product list, and if by this time they haven't already started asking lots of questions and shown some interest, then tell them you will contact them in a few days after they've had a chance to burn the candle/try the goods/ etc. etc. And then do it.

That's just my opinion though. To answer your question, no, I don't have any kind of form letter to send to potential accounts though. I'm guessing a letter like that has a high liklihood of ending up in the circular file without having even been read. Good Luck in whatever you do.

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I had a couple of other questions about approaching stores. I don't have any wholesale accounts yet but would love to get one!

- Is it better to call the buyer/owner to set up an appointment or to stop in the store to try to set it up? I am trying to decide if I should drop off my brochure/wholesale information ahead of time or just bring it if (hopefully when!) I meet with them.

- I plan to give them a sample - do you think I need to leave a sample of every size candle I sell? I was going to bring scent samples for them to see what we sell.

I appreciate anyone's thoughts - you all are always helpful and give me things to think about!

TIA!!!