Okay....science question. I think?

evesorto

I am using the oil Coco Beach Baby. It is an awsome summer coconut peach scent.

I made tarts using igi 4786 at 10% and they knock you out as soon as you walk in the door. They are powerful.

I made 6 oz jar (salsa type, 2.75 diameter), used igi 4627 at 12%, used eco wick 8. The candle burns beautifully, melt pool, flame size are gorgeous but I placed the candle in a large bedroom and when you walk in, there is a slight scent, nothing to write home about. I checked oil flashpoint and it is greater than 200.

I guess if I wanted to remove the wick from the equation, I could "warm" the entire candle on a warmer plate, thereby checking the igi 4627 as a "carrier" for this particular oil.

I am not sure if my thinking is correct so I wanted to check with others.

Oh, one other thing. I am not quite sure how to phrase this but, when I walk in the room where the candle is burning, I smell a slight scent of coco beach and a slight scent of "wax". Do you know what I mean? It is a "candle" smell, though, not necessarily a "scented" smell. This is what got me thinking about flames, wicks, flashpoints.

Sorry, if this post is confusing but I am confused. Appreciate any input.

Eve

Your post is not confusing at all:)

Although I'm not familiar with Eco wicks or the FO, I am familiar with 4627. Two points of your post caught my eye--using 12% fo, and using the 6 oz container in a large room.

You may want to try to lower the fo to 10% in the same container, and burn it in the same room. If that doesn't work, then maybe lower it to 8 or 9 and try it. This may help get rid of that waxy smell. It may be that what you're smelling is a 'chemical' smell from the fo. Even though it's said that the IGI4627 can potentially hold up to 2 oz of fo per pound, that's an awful lot of fo!

As far as the light scent throw, it may simply just be the size of your container in ratio to the size of the room--for example, my 4 oz tin scents up a small bedroom very nicely, but in my living room, it's (obviously) much lighter.

Hope this helps ya out a bit!

Okay...I get that....So maybe the "wax" smell is really a chemical smell from too much oil?....It has been suggested to me to lower my % of fo and I have been fighting that idea...so maybe (reluctantly) I will have to try lowering to 10% (bec I know that there is no chem smell in the tarts done at 10%....

...but, the 6 oz candle was in a bedroom....

what is confusing to me is how come the tart is so powerful at 10%? It is definitely more powerful than the six oz jar(12% oil) and it is a .8 oz tart. Could this be because the .8 oz tart melts completely vs. the melt pool in the 2.75 diameter of the jar?

In other words, is the melt "pool" of the tart, in fact, larger (stronger) than a jar which has a diameter of 2.75"?

I hope that I am being clear.

thanks again

Eve

I think you hit the nail on the head--because when you burn a candle, you're not smelling the fo through the flame (which is what I always thought before making candles I hate to admit lol), you smell the fo through the melted wax.

You had mentioned putting your candle on your warmer in your first post.

That's a good idea--put it as is (12%) on there, and if you still smell the chemically smell, you know it's the amount of fo. If so, then reduce the % in increments until you no longer have that smell.