Milky Way Soap Molds

I use Milky Way molds all the time with each batch of CP I make. I calculate my batches to be big enough to fill my log mold, with enough left over to pour into a few Milky Way molds. I've even done some CP batches using nothing but Milky Way molds. They all come out great. The size of my batches is 2.2 lbs. With that size batch, I can make roughly 12 Milky Way-molded soaps of good size.

My unmolding method is very easy and it works everytime for me. I kinda discovered this method by accident, but like I said, it works every time for me. What I do is let the soap sit in the molds at room temp. for about 24 hours or so, and then I stick the molds in the freezer for at least 4 hours- or even better, overnight. Then I take them out and let them sit on my counter upside down. I don't do anything to them, but just let them sit upside down on the counter and in the meantime go about my business. Usually, within about an hour or less, they just pop right out all on their own, without me having to press on them or anything. They just slide right out while I'm out and about doing other stuff. I'll lift up the mold and lo and behold- the soaps stay behind on the counter! I don't put any mold release stuff in my molds either. I like doing my Milky Way molds this way because they pop out perfect every time, without any soap sticking to the mold. When I used to use the press and force method, it was always hit or miss. Sometimes my soaps would slide out nicely, and sometimes they would not. When they didn't, I'd get mad because it would ruin the pretty design on the surface of my soap from the mold. :mad:

If you've never made CP before, though, I'm going to side with Eugenia and say that you may want to do it in a log mold first. They are more forgiving if your batch happens to go south.

In order to show off to perfection the good, clean designs from your Milky Way molded soap, you're going to want to pour at light to medium trace, and in order to do that, it's a really good idea for you to have the feel of how your recipe will behave first. Once you've seen that you have a consistantly good, behaving recipe and fragrance oil, then go for it! :) You don't want your recipe to do what mine did today, that's for sure! I used a fast tracing F/O that made my batch stiffin up real quick, and so the Milky Way molded portion of my soap looks like crap. The portion of it that went into my log mold looks really good though, because I poured that part first before it got too stiff to work with.

HTH! :smiley2:

MarieJeanette