Bent wicks tilt over at the end of the burn

Background: IGI 4630 (Harmony Blend), HTP pre-tabbed wicks from Peak, 4 oz jelly jars FO at 6%. OK-on some of my tests, the burn starts out good. Quarter-inch melt, some hangup which later catches up. Great throw. But when the burn gets down to less than 1/2 inch of wax, the wick tilts over and gets long and then the flame becomes unacceptable large. (If the wick does not tilt, it curls and self-trims so no flame problem. ) I know, the wisdom says stop burning the candle at 1/2 inch. But this is a small jar and I know the customers will burn it until the wick tab puts it out so that is how I am testing the candles. My theory now is that the wick tilts because it is bent when it is stuffed in the bag and the high-melt wax is broken. Has anyone else had this experience and how do you handle it? BTW, the test jars were not preheated but I normally preheat my jars in the oven at 150 degrees, more or less (it is an old oven). I notice my Snowtop samples were carefully packed and not bent at the tab but they don't sell small enough sizes. Thanks!

I wouldn't depend on the high melt wax holding your wick up. When it burns to the bottom, the priming melts anyway.Short of swtching to zincs, I'd make sure your burn instructions advise against burning it that far down. I'd also make sure that it advises keeping the wick trimmed. If the wick is trimmed and the wick tilts in any direction, it should drown out since it is anchored to the bottom.

Thank you for your input. Good advice. I do put a label on each candle with the warnings and also give out a handout with directions. However, I know some people will ignore both and just burn away. Not depending on the high-melt wax makes good sense. I do wonder, however, if the core of the wick is damaged when the tab is sharply bent to get the wicks into a flat bag. What do all of you think about the bending of wicks in general? Have you had any problem? Does anyone tab their own wicks to avoid this? :undecided

:laugh2: Instructional video? These guys? No, I have to make idiot-proof candles because I know idiots will buy them. ;) I did suspect that it would not be cost-effective to tab my own wicks. Thank you for confirming that. I am going to try different wicks and hope their flame gets smaller rather than larger as it burns down. Today I am testing C-30 and LX-8 (can you believe such small wicks for containers? Must be our oxygen rich enviroment-I am at 10 feet above sea-level.) I love the 4630 wax-great throw, great color, one-pour. But it is sooo hard to wick! Thanks again for your input!